We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

I was thinking of hiring some kind of motor scooter or moped for exploring areas outside of Patong.

Will my UK driving licence be sufficient for this?

What I am concerned with would be using a reputable company that is fully insured for hire to foreigners. I would rather pay more to know that I have proper insurance.

As for the vehicles themselves, are there any 3 or 4 wheeled bikes you can hire, as I figure they would be more stable and safer. Do all companies offer good head protection with the hire of such vehicles.

My husband would drive and I would be the passenger.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Lorraine (first timer to Thailand)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

I asked the Patong Police if an Australian Drivers license (car) is sufficient and they said yes so an IDP or specific motorbike license isn't required in their view but you may have insurance issues.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

Legally its required, whatever you've been told. Half the poorly paid cops have no idea about these things. You will have police and insurance issues if you have an accident if you don't have an IDP valid for a motorcycle.

Its much better not to hire these bikes. The accident rate is extremely high, and it doesn't have to be your fault to end up in hospital, or worse. Take a skim through the Phuket Gazette and see how often a fatal accident involving a motorbike is reported (and nearly all M/cs have small engines). And many more accidents go unreported.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

Firstly, does husband ride in UK, have a licence? If not don't consider hiring.

International Driving Permit is required, simple enough from AA or major Post Office before you leave.

Insurance could be minimum Thai legal ins, never found out what this covers, I guess not a lot.

Good head protection, there is a laugh, most helmets I have seen are just good enough to keep the rain off when parked. Plastic p**s pot is the phrase to mind. Some hirers may offer proper open face helmets for an extra charge.

Stay safe.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

"Will my UK driving licence be sufficient for this"

Only if your UK driving licence includes motorcycle entitlement which I assume it doesn't? As above, in addition to this you will need an IDP. When you get the IDP they transfer the vehicle entitlement from your licence onto the IDP. So if you don't have a bike licence there is no point because you will be illegal anyway.

Like many people say, you will never be asked for an IDP or bike licence to rent bikes.....however, it's when it all goes wrong that you will find yourself in trouble.

Also be aware that a foreigner will ALWAYS be to blame in the event of an accident, whatever the circumstances. And don't expect any help from the local boys in brown either

Regards

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

We have been pulled over twice in 3 months & been asked for our licence, dont think every policeman here does not understand the difference between your home license or an IDP, both times the policeman was quite amazed thet we had the CORRECT IDP permit to ride bikes & drive a car. Shock, horrer, yes some of them can read and understand the permits perfectly!!

But back to the Lorraines question, if your husband/partner is an experienced bike rider back home, why would 3 or 4 wheels make it safer. Tours off the main roads offer these sort of bikes only (4 wheel).

Cathy

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

hi caty&gary, ive just got my new idp, £5-00 post office<

it covers me as i passed my m/c test years ago

its still a risky buisness riding in phuket tho, i definately wouldnt recommend pedalling some sort of bicycle ippwrth, , a/ youll get squashed

b/ if you dont youll die from heat exhaustion

c/ youll get squashed

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

Unless you are a confident and competent rider do not even think about hiring a motor bike. If you are it will open up a whole new world,we have just come back from 10 days of touring the back streets and highways of Phuket. As for hiring we always go through our hotel, if they do not hire out motorbikes they will normally arrange a reputable person for you.

Hope this helps

Ps our hire was 200Bt a day on a 9 day hire without any problems and it took the hassle out of it, just a photocopy of my Passport, so it was worth paying just a little bit extra. If you go to hire and they want to keep your Passport please do not do it, as then you are at thier mercy.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rob

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

agree, never give you p/p to anyone--its illegal to do so anyway

10. Re: Bike Hie or similar (insurance issues)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Patong