We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new scam old scam??

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
victoria
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
new scam old scam??

Just thought i would add this one.

You get out of customs you get some money changed $100au you receive 3x1000bht notes.You then proceed to get your metered taxi yep 500bht to patong.you arrive at your hotel the taxi driver only has 400bht in his wallet.guess what the trip just cost 600bht. so my advise is when you get money changed at the airport ask for 500bht notes.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new scam old scam??

Agree with your advice, but how about changing at the hotel. I would simply keep him waiting until I received my change.

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new scam old scam??

Really,

What does it matter, 500 or 600,

Get a taxi in Australia for this distance and see what you pay.

Enjoy your holiday,

Buzz

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new scam old scam??

I ask the taxi to wait and I get it changed at the hotel front desk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new scam old scam??

Buzz

Coming from Oz as well I here what you are saying, I always pay more and get the airport limo's. But the point is there are alot of scams in Phuket, particularly with taxis (not usually themtered type, but hey they dont actually use their meters from the airport ) The tourist industry taxi's tuk yuk's etc need regulation in phuket, so, they need not be allowed to get away with this sort of thing or its just more mafia activity over there, which is ruining the place

Michelle

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new scam old scam??

I got a taxi in Canberra (Australia) the other night, cost me $80.00. When I got home I gave the driver 2 x $50.00 notes. He then told me he didn't have change, wanted me to give him the $100.00. I had to wake up the wife to get some change from her. This, and all of the taxi/ tuk tuk scams listed on here are not unique to Phuket. They happen everywhere. My advice is to prepare in advance and use the same precautions that you use at home. At least you will never pay Aus. $80.00 for a taxi in Phuket.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new scam old scam??

What would you have done if he only had a 50฿?

Probably done as Steven suggested and walked away pleased with the service.

Scam is a word best saved for those that cheat you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new scam old scam??

"What does it matter, 500 or 600, Get a taxi in Australia for this distance and see what you pay."

Australia has nothing to do with the cost of things in Thailand. Its this kind of attitude that has given rise to the extremely high cost of living in Phuket. You should be paying local rates for local services, and allowing people to cheat you is encouraging them to cheat others. Cheating is criminal behaviour.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new scam old scam??

Relax, where is the cheating in this? Either he really had no chance or he was, what happens all over the world including all other places in Bangkok, trying to make a little extra. Don't like it, either make sure you have the change, or ask the reception to change. Done, and enjoy.

Phuket
Level Contributor
867 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new scam old scam??

No taxi driver in the world has change! It's a universal constant, not a scam.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,388 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new scam old scam??

Pay around 700Baht for a reputable private driver like Panya who can fit in his new vehicle about 7 persons for that price. A true gentleman.

Tommo