We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying things

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying things

hi all, just an obsevation about the quality of the clothing &footwear on sale in patong----its utter junk!

i bought 2 pairs of shoes, one shoulder-bag, one purseand a watch, for eim, my bar/g/f

both pairs of shoes fell apart after 4 days,the zips both broke on the other 2, dunno abt the watch

theres no returns or swaps in patong if it breaks--hard luck, she told me that

the shoes were bought in jungceylon btw , and the bag and purse from another big posh store

just though i,d let you all know ,

100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying things

Well, thanks for that.

Good thing I'm not a shopper. Unfortunately hubby is. I know, we have a weird family. The men are the shoppers and the women aren't.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying things

Must have been luck of the draw...

I bought shoes at Batta and whilst they did eventually wear out, (I did wear them them every day for a year), they just dont look brand new any more, but stil l wearable around the house.

I bought handbags from markets and Robertsons... still going good and i seem to carry everything including the kitchen sink. Mind you, i am a bit more carefull with what i bought at the markets..

Watches.... they dont last as long, but often its only a new battery that is needed.

maybe i have been lucky

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying things

I must say I am still wearing shoes I bought in year one, and clothes. I have seen board shorts that are worn to death still going stong 7 years on. I punish my handbags and I have only ever had one not last the test of time. Maybe you just bad bad luck Andy.

I did buy a watch this year that I managed to break before giving it away though.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 20:56
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: buying things

yes, perhaps it was just bad luck ,funnily i still have a few repro lacoste tee-shirts that i bought in bangkok abt 20 years ago (yes 20 ) theyre still ok -- god i feel old!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying things

I have bought no less than 40 pairs of sunnies since 2004...Of course most have gone to my spare parts bin....Meaning I am able to repair quite a few pairs knowing that these sunnies wouldn't last very long....

Having said that,I have 3 pairs now that are still going strong after 2-3 years...

As for watches.??..Yes.!!..Maybe a new battery is all that is needed....

Thongs/Flip Flops....I wear them till they just about rot off my feet...Eeeeuuuwwww...!!??...I tend to buy about 3 pairs per trip and still have some from a few years before still going strong,well wearable....

As for DVD's...??...Don't buy them anymore....Just don't have time to sit watching them....Besides,I have got a few beauties with strange shadows,coughing and sneezing...!!...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying things

I agree bad luck

Everything we bought besides our sunnies r great nothing has shrunk or faded hubby watch I's great my bag well it's better then anything i have bought here

But u do need to look around befor buying some shops sell cheap cheap clothes other sell top quality

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying things

Haha Andy, it must just be bad luck, I bought a pair of shoes in Jungceylon at the big shoe shop, first time I wore them they broke, took them back no problems. Are you home now, seems like you were away for ages. Where is you Just Back Report lol. It was fantastic to finally meet you!

Cathy

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying things

Just luck of the draw I think Andy with some things, I have bought good and bad stuff, although mostly good i must say

It's a shame about the stuff you got for your eim, bar/g/f, (or is it your secret stash haha) but you could take it back (worth a try) if you are still there, they might do it for you as a tourist but not the Thai's??

Sunnies never last too long with me anyway haha

shoes.....got heaps and some I have had for a few years now and still good, hubby bought a pair 5 years ago and still wearing them although they look a bit aged now haha but sooo comfy, he just replaced them this year with a new pair exactly the same, I have only had one pair where the shank broke after a few wears, nice one's too they were I even enquired about getting it fixed $40 ppfffttt! don't love em that much haha

Handbags.....all been good, even a real cheapy plain one from Findig

Watches....same, all been good, one I got outside of Tesco on a stall for 199bhat 2.5 years ago, just a plain one with a black leather strap, wear it for work and it's still going battery an all haha I think I will be most upset when that dies :-(

Tee's....bought hundreds over the years, mostly good, washed and washed, only the odd few have shrunk (or have I grown haha)??

stuff we got in Bali fell apart in no time

better luck next time Andy :-)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: buying things

hi cathy and mossy, it was a bit dissapointing as the things i bought her she really liked , she was a bit downtrodden when i met her so i kitted her out with lots of clothing too

ive never met a woman who could eat as much as her! we went to the all you can eat barbecue for 150bht place, she went on a one woman crusade to eat everything on display - then tell me she,s got stomach ache and "bottom no good inside"

i bought her a few margaritas one night , in the morning she said she had an"over-hang"--took me a bit of time to work out ,she meant a "headache/hangover"

anyway home now, gotta go to the bank to see what the damage to my funds are before i book my next trip!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying things

ah Andy....that was disapointing for you as it was for presents too :-(

lol, you gotta luv em don't you with the things they say......"over-hang" that's funny haha

lets hope you can get back over to your lovely lady sooner than later

Get answers to your questions about Patong