We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccination Advice Please

New Zealand
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccination Advice Please

Hi

My wife and I from New Zealand are coming to Phuket in March this year for 10 days. We're not travelling around, just staying in Patong for ten days then home again. Can anyone tell me if we need any vaccinations for the trip?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Nothing is required but I would ask your doctor this question; everyone's medical needs are very individual.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
36 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

I was advised by my GP to get Hep A and Typhoid vaccines, he also recommended Dukoral - which stops Bali Belly.

Usually you need to get these done 6 weeks before for them to be active!

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Hi,

My Dr said not to worry about vaccinations if you're staying in a resort.

He said it was more important to worry about Mosquitos and making sure you use repellent. He also said to use common sense with food etc.

After talking to my Mum and Sis who are both registered nurses they agreed but said Hep B is a must as you can catch it in numerous ways even through food.

Kimmy what's Dukoral? Do you rake it before you go?

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

I stayed in Patong and Kata for 4 months and a month in Hong Kong and Penang and didn't get Vaccinated because there was a shortage Australia wide and didn't get sick.I ate from the street carts daily but only at night just after they set up,so the meat was cold and fresh.The carts i ate from set up at 7pm every night and all the meat was on big blocks of ice.

I wouldn't eat from a cart that was there all day though.

Make sure your Tetanus is up to date.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Hi Ian,

We are in the same boat as you, from NZ travelling to Thailand (but also Cambodia) in March. My father is a doctor and got us to check this website to see what we might need in terms of vaccinations etc.

mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/…thailand.php

The info on this site is just a general guideline as everyone has different health issues and we will be getting ours done through a travel doctor.

It will cost our family of 4 around NZ$600 to get all we need done, ouch! ( in the pocket and the body)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Hey thank you very much that's really helpful

melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Hi

we are a family of 2 adults are 3 children. We stayed in Patong 18 mths ago we had hep a and typhoid and just recently had the booster for hep a . Have to have the booster for it to last a long time .Typhoid lasts 3 years,It's costly however found out few mths later if get tax invoice from pharamcy when you purchase immunisations get large amount back with private health insurance.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Hi, traveling in June with a 10 and 5 year old and asked doctor the same question. He said "officially" Hep and typhoid were recommended but if we were going to well known tourist places not to bother.

I've decided not to worry, to take our usual precautions and to make sure we wash our hands regularly (probably will go for some anti-bacterial hand wash stuff too).

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

Thanks for the info about private health insurance!

The link is also very good.

Durokal is an oral vaccine for cholera I've just discovered wouldn't have thought you'd need that in Phuket.

gold coast
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccination Advice Please

We went first to Thailand our doctor advised us to have the Hep B injection, hubby got it done and I already had mine. He was more worried about malaria and gave us tablets tho he said if you stick to tourist areas you were prob fine.

We take malaria tablets when we go away even tho we are probably going to be ok but like the doctor says "better to safe than sorry"

Get answers to your questions about Patong