We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where next after Patong?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where next after Patong?

G'day guys, am back again. for another round of questions! hehe

I've been to Patong twice and have had a great time and am now wondering 'where to next?'.

I'd like to try somewhere around Phuket, somewhere that has some of the 'liveliness' and fun of Patong but without the pissed up yobs (speaking as an ex-yob hehe).

About me, I'm 48yo male solo traveller, not there for the girls/guys (shock!) but there for a good time & a fun holiday with like minded people, and be able to meet up with other solo travellers.

A broad quesstion, but any recommendations of places and accommodation is appreciated.

cheers

Brett

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where next after Patong?

Hi Brett...My suggestion would be Khao Lak....Not party central ala Bangla Road....Moreso, a friendly,quiet but no less beautiful area of Thailand...

I have met many a traveller,ex pats and locals in Khao Lak and if you want a laid back holiday,this is the place....Khao Lak is approximately 2 hours north of Patong...

KL has it's bars and restaurants and low key shopping and markets....

We stay in a garden bungalow for $40/night at Nang Thong Beach Resort -low season price..NTBR has great reviews...!!

However there are many resorts and hotels in KL....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where next after Patong?

What about Boracay Philippines . Just got back . Loved it. Busy but still has island charm . No girly bars . But lots of girls .. People are there for fun . Lots of bars and music. Beautiful !! beach

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where next after Patong?

Khao Lak, Koh Lanta, plus lots of choices elsewhere in Thailand

Phetchabun, Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where next after Patong?

ao nang

Sydney
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where next after Patong?

Thanks guys for some tsuggestions (Boracay? thats one form left-field hehe).

Is there any chance you can expand on why you like these areas or what draws you to it. As mentioned above I'm looking for somewhere lively yet chilled at the same time (even in the low season), any info that i can google or search on TA is appreciated.

I'm travelling solo in June 2012 and have a feeling that even in Patong the crowds will be fewer than say in April when i was there 2 years ago and don't want to be the 'only gay in the village'.

cheers

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where next after Patong?

Koh Chang is where you want to be.

Sydney
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where next after Patong?

I have just booked in for June 2012 Salathai in Patong, as it's the low season I guess there will still be crowds around Patong whereas the other places maybe too quiet for the solo traveller.

I wanted to stay here last time after reading a ton of good reviews, have previously stayed Patong Merlin, its a big hotel, great pool but from my experience its best suited towards couples, families & groups as far as meeting others.

So 7 nights in Patong then 3 in Bangkok in June, all i can say is bring it on, bring it on!

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where next after Patong?

Hi Brett, I presume you've been to Phi Phi? The pissed-up yobs are easier to avoid there and it's a great place.

Sydney
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where next after Patong?

mate, totally forgot about Phi Phi! Have already booked 7 nights in Patong, to be honest not fussed about the yobs etc, as they can be entertaining to watch, after all we are all on holidays to have a good time. hehe. Will look at a day trip out to Phi Phi though and have a look around for future stays. cheers

10. Re: where next after Patong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:18