We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
287 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Getting very excited now but have a few last minute questions please.

1. I know the sea at Patong can be dangerous at times - what's it like at the moment? Safe to swim?

2. Is the hottest part of the day the afternoons? If so, what does everyone do then - stay swimming (is there shade at the beach) or head for the Jungceylon shopping centre - which I assume is air conditoned?

Staying at HI - any nice restaurants with a view close by?

All your help is appreciated. I've found out so much on these forums!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

the sea in patong is safe afaiknow ,its karon where rip tides occur and people drown every year, there have been drowning in patong though, always observe the warning flags -do not hire jetskis-

there are sunloungers for rent and a big umbrella 80-100bht a day, cold drinks and food too

jungceylon is nice and cool! great resturaunts too-

hope you like lively nightlife !

don,t know abt the rest of your q,s

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Andy has pretty much answered your question, Just sitting on the beach under the umberella with drink in hand is fantasic. Also staying at HI you have a lovely resort to sit in. Patong is a very flat beach not much swell ever so it will be fine.

Jungcelyons a great place to head to to cool off

Michelle

New Zealand
Level Contributor
287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Thanks guys. Michelle - any thoughts on a nice restaurant not too far away from HI? Have you been to sams steakhouse?

Pukekohe, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

We travelled over few years ago for the first time, and found the beach at Patong awesome, swimming area and great beach especially under the umbrella with a cocktail.

Going back again this year as found it a great destination

chittaway bay
Level Contributor
256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

you'll have loads of restraunts within 2 min walk of Holiday inn. Too many to choose from :)

gold coast...
Level Contributor
429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

i have stayed at the HI for many years and sorry to say I have never tried sams steak it is alot dearer than what u can find out on the street.. There are many restaurants near by just walk up beach road or out the back Off HI .. the pool at HI is lovely lots of shady places to sit in the afternoon ..

teresa

Leeton, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Shopping Is always a great option when it's hot. The restaurants at the HI are ALL amazing. We stayed there last year and ate at Sams and it's very much upmarket in terms of prices and food quantity but it was worth it. Terazzo is an Italian restaurant on the Beach side and is beautiful and has a variety of meals and price ranges. You MUST try Thai Charm which is my favorite, it's on the Busakorn side of the HI and the cashew chicken is to die for.

Enjoy your holiday, we are back there in May, cannot wait!

Leeton, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

Shopping Is always a great option when it's hot. The restaurants at the HI are ALL amazing. We stayed there last year and ate at Sams and it's very much upmarket in terms of prices and food quantity but it was worth it. Terazzo is an Italian restaurant on the Beach side and is beautiful and has a variety of meals and price ranges. You MUST try Thai Charm which is my favorite, it's on the Busakorn side of the HI and the cashew chicken is to die for.

Enjoy your holiday, we are back there in May, cannot wait!

Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

If you want to head down to Patong Tower, there is a great steakhouse called Karlsons.....our fave restaurant in Patong is Sweet (also in the Patong tower walkway). Half your luck!! Its a long wait till December for us.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in 5 days - some questions.....

As said so many good places to eat near HI. I must say I have not eaten at Sams as we tend to eat mainly Thai when in Phuket. Also I have not eaten at many of the places on Beach rd, Near HI, we tend to eat at places either North Of Bangla rd, or a block back from beach rd.But there are plenty to choose from

Michelle