We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Bhat

Margaret River...
6 posts
Save Topic
Thai Bhat

Is there a limit of cash you can withdraw from cash machines.

Thanks Elaine

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Bhat

B20,000 which is about $600.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Bhat

Your bank normally imposes a limit on the daily withdrawals using an ATM card.

Thai cash machines have limits on the number of banknotes dispensed in a single transaction. The cash machines of different banks may have different limits, but 20 seems to be a frequent one. This can be a nuisance, since almost all Thai banks impose a 150 baht per transaction surcharge if you withdraw money using a foreign card. Only the rare AEON ATMs are supposed to be free of this charge.

If your bank has issued you a combined debit/credit chip card, be aware that Thai cash machines rather universally do not let you select between using the debit and credit functionality and you end up withdrawing cash from your credit card account.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Bhat

"B20,000 which is about $600." NOT true.

The limit is imposed by the bank that issues the card as well as by the bank that owns the ATM machine. In Thailand, the limit varies from account type to account type, and from bank to bank. I can draw 40,000 baht in one go. Others can draw less, or more. Its often the case that your bank's own limit will be lower than the ATM's limit, so ask your bank!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Bhat

My Bank's daily limit is $1,000 and i can only withdraw $600 per transaction at any Thai bank ATM and i've used them all.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Bhat

Are you sure that your limit applies overseas? My home bank applies a much lower limit to Thailand than to at home. My 40,000 baht limit here is on a Thai card, as i said, it varies from account to account, and from bank to bank. I have a friend who has a daily withdrawal limit of 1m baht!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai Bhat

Depending on your limit at home you can withdraw 30,000baht from the Bank of Ayudhya machines (the yellow ones).

Cathy

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai Bhat

There are 2 things to take into account:

1) the limiations set by your own bank. These are general limitations per day and can be different from home withdrawals and withdrawals abroad, including Thailand; and

2) the limit set by the ATM machine, which are limitations per withdrawal. In most ATM's this limit is 20 notes, so presuming 1,000 Baht notes are present that would be 20,000 Baht. If no 1,000 Baht notes present the amount would be less of course. But recently some Thai banks have been increasing this limit, so modern Bank of Bangkok ATM's allow 25 notes, and modern Bank of Ayudya ATM's 30 notes.

NSW
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai Bhat

My limit is $1000 but the most I've been able to get is 20 000 bht.

But then again I've read here about the $20 ATM charges per withdrawal and I've never even come close to having that charged!

May be worth talking to your bank..

9. Re: Thai Bhat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:15