We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So i am now in patong...

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
So i am now in patong...

Only areas ive explored so far today was down bangla and part of jungceylon mall. I havent even step foot on the beach yet...just saw it. Im pretty beat as i had to wake up eatly to catch a morning flight to here. Manop's brother picked me up from the airport.

Ended up havin mcds in the aftrnoon >< Not what I exactly wanted. Where exactly are these cheap mom and pop thai food eateries???? All i saw were tonnes of non-thai places.

I also met briefly with panya today to obtain and pay for some tickets for a few activities occuring next few days. Nice and soft-spoken guy.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So i am now in patong...

TSorry but what is mcds?

lots of thai places around to eat. Explore tomorrow and I'm sure you find some.

Have a great trip.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So i am now in patong...

Look for where local Thai people eat.

Try the market area behind JungCeylon (east of the mall)

Or the push cart food along the beach.

The locals don't go to McDonalds and they don't go to Italian restaurants or hotels.

I had a great (Thai) meal for 45 baht on the road just behind JungCeylon heading south (towards Karon) on the left side down near the squash court place a few weeks ago.

Aust
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So i am now in patong...

Hey Evomal..lol.. we both still awake and on TA??

I'd say Seks means Macca's.

yes Evomal is right... rest up now.. and explore tomorrow.. there are lots of little Thai cafes around.

We had a lovely simple Thai meal at Spring Onion cafe on Rat-that-thit rd, the main road at the end of Bangla Rd, not beach side..

Tomorrow you will be have fresher eyes to discover enjoy.!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: So i am now in patong...

get yourself to banzzan market nearby it has about 100 food carts in the evening in the car park

its opposite the boxing stadium

avoid raw oysters

Edited: 08 August 2012, 12:37
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So i am now in patong...

Don't forget the pancake cart.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So i am now in patong...

+ 1 for Pancake Cart! You will be lovinggg there! Try Yummy Banana & Cinnamon Pancake!

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So i am now in patong...

Mcds = mcdonalds. I would think thats a universal term lol

Yes i had the crepe pancake. Banana and choc. Pretty delightful for 40thb. Good stuff to eat after a salty meal. On the other hand, i was bracin myself for some bad bowel movements as i wasnt sure how hygenic the dude was when he was using his bare hands to prepare the crepe. Im fine this morning!

On the jungceylon side of bangla, i noticed there r some eateries north of tht intersection. Looks like a pick your seafood and they will cook it fo u?

And where is this tailife fitness centrr?? Its supposedly by taipan cafe club. I did come across taipan while strolling last night but wasnt too sure where to look for that fitness ctr. Suggestions?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So i am now in patong...

Don't shop at Patong beaches. The prices they quote you will be very high. Whatever the price they quote you, bring it down by 50-70%. (eg: 400 baht to 150, 700baht to 200 Baht).

I only shop at Jinda where they put low and fixed prices so you don't have to haggle (for other shops, you haggle and you still lose out as the lowest price you obtain will still be higher than standard price)

To describe where is Jinda, find Bangla road. Walk at Bangla road towards the beach direction, at the end of Bangla road, turn right. Walk and you will see Macdonalds on the left. Keep walking and you will see a aircon shop named Findig on the right. The shop is like 10-20m after Findig. There is a small sign 'Jinda's Shop'.

Find Mrs Jinda who will be there at 8am-6pm. If she is not there, walk out as the Indian guy (a part time worker who works for Mrs Jinda) will try to chop you off.

Level Contributor
84 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So i am now in patong...

I eventually found jindas myself. It ain't easy haha! Didn't buy anything either.

Great and cheap restaurant. 'break point'

I'm eating here now as i type'

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So i am now in patong...

Went to break point for late lunch. One of the dishes we had was the penang curry. Disappointed in it: no veggies in it... Just the chicken and what looked like bay leaves?

We were at The sweet restaurant across from it night before. Better portions.