We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive

sg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
self drive

Hi am thinking to rent own vehicle to drive while in patong. Is it advisable?thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive

Not in Patong! Its not a bad idea for seeing the island but do be aware that accidents are fairly common. A small extra charge gets you a driver so that you can relax and enjoy the view without worrying about the idiots driving around you. Get 1st class insurance and use a reputable hire firm, not some shop on the street. If you have a Singapore drivers license you won't need an International Driver's Permit, otherwise you probably will need it.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive

I see no reason not to. I like the freedom of having my own car. It is easier to get away from Patong. I found the roads on Phuket to be fairly easy to navigate. In Patong itself, traffic can be very heavy and a car is not useful for getting around Patong. It is useful getting out of Patong and seeing the rest of the island. Traffic is heavy and not all drivers obey the laws, so you have to be more than alert. Use a reputable rental agency and get the insurance.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive

We always hire a jeep in Phuket and have never had a peoblem.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive

I prefer to let the hotel organise the vehicle for me. No handing over of passport as collateral and you will have the hotel to act as a mediator in the event of an accident. Worth the extra couple of dollars a day doing it this way IMO.

sg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive

Hi chrella, may I know roughly how much do u normally pay for the jeeps?thanks!

6. Re: self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Patong