We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Karon

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Kata or Karon

Hi

which area is busier Kata or Karon ? which has more shops/stalls resturants etc. Can you walk from Karon to Kata ??

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Karon

Hi

From Kata to Karon it's about 3 Kilometer, Kata beach probably has safe swimming, both beaches have shops, restaurants and both are beautiful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Karon

Karon is a little busier

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Karon

I prefer Kata,it just has a better feel but you can stay at either and walk to the other.

Kata has the better beach.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Karon

Yes you can walk but it's not very comfortable doing so in the heat.

I think both areas provide a good amount of choice for dining and shopping. Not sure which is busier.

Toss a coin?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Karon

Both are busy but I prefer Kata but my choice in the end would be the hotel that suits me best.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata or Karon

thank-you all...trying to plan my next trip :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata or Karon

We stayed in Karon. Kata has a Starbucks we visited! It was a bit more hilly than Karon so it would depend on where your hotel was in Kata. Karon is fairly flat until you get right to the back where the big hills start. Its very hot walking up and down hills!! Kata is flat right at the beach though.

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata or Karon

Hi, both are very nice and you can walk between the two, probably better to do this in the evening though when a bit cooler but a nice walk along the beach road and can do it in about 20 to 30 mins.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata or Karon

There is better restaurants, local Thai restaurants on the beach nice botuques and cheap stores in Kata where as Karon only seems to have the same cheap stores and not real nice restaurants and nothing directly on the beach for food.

Also Kata is more beautiful.. as the street is lined with trees and low rise hotels unlike Karon.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kata or Karon

kata is much nicer than karon and the local buses run between the two for 20-30 baht anyway