We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free changes in Australia

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free changes in Australia

Hi guys,

We are in Patong at the moment and have just found they have changed all the duty free rules for Australia. It even states clothes bought over here must own for 12 months before bringing in duty free.

And now only 50 cigarettes per person. Can anyone else give me any updates on this, as it is apparently from September. Thanks :(

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

The only change of late is the tobacco allowance which you mention. 50 cigs or 50g of tobacco or cigars - pitiful. Don't be confused by the reference to clothing unless your bringing in large amounts of brand new high end stuff.

Fortunately the alcohol allowance remains unchanged at 2.25 litres.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4352.asp

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Yes only alcohol has changed.

Can you imagine trying to bring in a limit on clothes? It would be a nightmare for the customs officers asking when you purchased different tshirts etc. In any case you only would only pay the duty on the amount of value over the limit so it's only very small anyway. I was over the alcohol limit by several bottles when I came back from Bali many years ago. They were all bottles of Arak which I paid $2 for (years ago). The customs officer agreed I was over the limit but said it wasn't worth working out the duty.

Lou

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Only cigarette allowance has changed as 4b said, alcohol is the same 2.25 litres each.

Cathy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Ye but you have to buy the Alcohol in Australia at duty free. We wanted to get some in Bangkok but when they asked us where we where going and we said Australia they said it was not allowed.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Ye but you have to buy the Alcohol in Australia at duty free. We wanted to get some in Bangkok but when they asked us where we where going and we said Australia they said it was not allowed.

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
934 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Sandy, that ruling is only partly correct.

You can buy it anywhere, but it seems with airlines flying out of Bangkok to Australia you can't take it as carry-on hand baggage, all to do with that stupid 100 ml rule.

Coming out of Bali, you buy the grog at dutyfree in the airport, and collect it in the departure lounge, but it seems not in Bangkok. Same as at Aussie departures, buy in the departure lounge.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

We did try to buy it in the departure lounge. And they said we couldn't and we tried in two different shops and they both said the same. Bangkok would not sell it to us as we where going to Australia.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

I knew the Tobacco had changed but couldn't remember what the limit was.. we were discussing it on our flight back!

We usually buy our alcohol from any shop/supermarket & pack it in our checked in luggage.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

Thanks guys for the info, will be able to shop for new clothes with out the worry,Shop shop shop till I spend all hubbies money :)

Having a ball here at the moment, went on the Joy Dive trip, fabulous you gotta try it,. You get to go on a scooter underwater with a diver checking all the time you are ok. A great boat good food, snorkelling, canoeing , and a banana boat ride. A truly great day out. Just type in Joy Dive Phuket, cheaper to book online, I think we paid 3000 baht for the lot or 1700 if you dont want the scooter dive.Cheers Squibs:)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free changes in Australia

The "no sale to Aussies" rule is imposed by the Australian Government. They require any airport that is the last point of departure for Australia to have liquids n excess of 100ml to be be enclosed in a sealed bag which must be collected by the purchaser at the gate. You can purchase alcohol locally and pack it in your hand luggage if you are departing from an airport that does not provide this facility.