We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Visiting Patong in a couple of weeks and want to know if there are orphanages one can visit.. Rather visit than give money via web. Do you know if goods are best taken from Aus or purchased in Thailand. is cash donation better?. Appreciate if anyone has visited Orphanage lately or can give directions. Visited Thailand many times but looking at giving something back to worthy place.

thanks

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Hi John. Try the phukethasbeengoodtous foundation. Highly regarded.

I also know of a group that works with the children of Burmese labourers, many of whom cannot go to school. If you want their contact info, please let me know. Remember, it is more than likely that it was the poor Burmese labourers that built the resort you are staying in.

Very kind thoughts of you. Well done.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Happy home

282-284 Pungmuang sai kor rd patong kathu phuket

Go there first and ask what is needed for the children, last trip they requested clothes so i went to night market with my thai gf in phuket town a got lots of new clothes, much cheaper and easier with a thai speaking partner.

Enjoy

Dave

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Why don't you just visit Phuket zoo?

It is my understanding that orphanages in South East Asia - at least reputable orphanages - do not welcome western tourists dropping in for a look. There are many other ways to support orphanages if you are sincere

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

That's not true rachaelOz! My family and I contacted Phuket Sunshine Village prior to arriving in Phuket and they requested childrens underwear and pyjamas. We did a collection amongst our friends and family here in Australia and were overwhelmed with donations. We delivered them to the orphange and were welcomed and shown around so that we could share their situation with our friends and family, my husband and I and our 2 teenage sons were both humbled and honored to have shared the experience and it has since become a family goal to return as often as we can to help.

Good on you "JohnA" for asking and please get in touch with Captain Mark, as will I :-)

Davao City...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

Hi! Any contact information of Happy Home orphanage? My client from Australia as well wants to visit the said orphanage next month. I can't find any contact information online. If you could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

* Why don't you just visit Phuket zoo?

It is my understanding that orphanages in South East Asia - at least reputable orphanages - do not welcome western tourists dropping in for a look. There are many other ways to support orphanages if you are sincere *

Gotta agree with Rachel's comment's here.

There has been thread upon thread of visiting orphanages in Cambodia by tourists looking for their 'fuzzy moments' with cute kids. However do they actually REALISE that these kids are in care? A lot of orphanages in cambodia are also scams, and i sincerely wonder about orphanages allowing foreigners to visit their kids. There has also been reports of mistreatment of kids and paedophiliaby those that run these orphanages too.

I must admit i really question the true motives of a foreigner that MUST visit them, rather than simply send a donation. What is it that they Need from these kids??

Any responsable tourists should not visit these kids full stop, and know their boundaries. You are wrong to assume it's ok cos an orphanage says so. Isn't Thailand enough just for normal Tourism? Can't Thailand look after it's own??

Would be happy if an orphange in your country allowed Thai strangers in??

Edited: 06 December 2013, 09:19
Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

You are partially correct. No orphanage wants "drop by tourists" as they have been burned many times by people taking photos with them and then starting a scam website pretending to raise money for orphanages. This is why suggesting to just send money is not the best unless you are sure they are very reputable.

My name is Tom Love and I run The Phamile Foundation which raises money to support specific orphan projects or needs worldwide but so far specific to SE Asia. As a USA based 501c charity we guarantee every penny gets to the children which can be difficult without a support system in place. The worst affected area in Thailand for orphan conditions is really Mae Sot which borders Burma/Myanmar and as Mark pointed out are primarily Burmese orphans. Many of the Phuket orphanages are fairly stable and well supported but there are always needs.

I make 2 or more trips a year to do site inspections on those we support and even so things can change quickly in the really tough areas - a well run orphanage that we get up and running with housing food etc can go bad quickly when the care givers are promised lots of money directly to them (we do not usually give money to caretakers) but work with our volunteers and local missionaries to buy necessities.

It can be frustrating when these and other scams happen but giving up on the children is not an option.

You can also see more about my foundation at Phamile.org or to ask questions about Orphanages. Also you can find more about me on Linkedin - My "day job" is as a corporate executive at companies like Roku, Apple, Walt Disney, Discovery, Publicis etc

Best

Tom Love

8. Re: Visit to Orphange patong/ phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Patong