We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dengue fever a bit worried

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
dengue fever a bit worried

will be there in september with 15yr old and hubby, already booked, thinking of cancelling due to all that i have read and that its getting bad over there with the fever, and worried as son does come up with big welts when bitten by mozzie. should i cancel.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

No need to cancel :)

Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

hi

could you tell me your reason why i shouldnt cancel, cause on our end it seems worst then ever with the dengue fever over there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

Obkyyou can mmake that call its your family, but no I would not cancel either.

If you ate travelling to phuket its s tourist city. The jungle is where you would have most problems, not phuket in my opinion.

I also react badly to mozzies, you just have to be preparedaalways keep room doors closed, and spray yourself with mozzie repellent when going out. Its also s good plan to carry it with you so that if you feel mozzies around you can reapply.

I have hardly ever been bitten in Thailand, I get bittei more at home.

I think also sometimes our media over plays things far worse than they are.

Just my opinion. I will be back in October for trip 10, not noticed them being any worse than my 1st trip.

Michelle

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

I definitely would not cancel, but just be vigilant in applying mosquito repellent, I never walk outside without spraying and also spray our apartment a few times a day. Some people will say to cover up, don't wear black etc etc, I do not do any of this but am obsessed with spraying :) There has been a lot of dengue cases on Phuket Island and a few recent deaths.

We know quite a few people who have contracted dengue in Phuket & it is in areas where people live ((including Patong & Surin) as the mosquito only needs small pools of water to lay eggs and they are active during the daytime.

So having said that we stay here many months of the year during the wet season & have never had a problem, just remember use a good repellent & spray, spray, spray :)

Cathy

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

To give some perspective to the dengue risk in Thailand:

- in 2013 up to June 23rd nearly 49,000 people had been infected with dengue virus, 59 of whom died.

- in 2012 7,784 people died in traffic accidents in Thailand.

- in 2011 116 people died in traffic accidents in Phuket

Diligent use of repellent gives you a pretty good control over your personal dengue fever risk while in traffic you are at the mercy of others. My personal experience is that Thais cannot be bothered to apply mosquito repellent every day, several times a day as you actually have to do to make the bugs stay away.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

You need to take precautions. There is certainly dengue fever here. My son has just been hospitalised with it. We are Australians and we were on the train derailment in chang mai. It is because of this that we were exposed in the early hours unprotected in this region that is affected. It is perhaps an extreme case but it is common sense to ensure that you are covered with repellent, wear appropriate clothes. Make sure you are covered particularly at the times where mosquitos bite, early morning and evening. We have travelled to Thailand before and never had problems. Just be sensible and take precautions to not get bitten.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

I can only speak for Phuket, don't know enough about Chiang Mai to get in detail there.

Yes, Dengue fever is a problem with this, with more people infected than ever (at least as far as we know). But the people infected are nearly exclusivley locals. The mosquito does not fly very far, and the resorts do all they can to eliminate any standing water in the vicinity.. Plus the people who died from it are nearly exclusively the major risks groups, sick, old and very young. So if you're very unlucky and do get bitten by a dengue fever mosquito, chances are very, very slim you'd die, but would get seriously sick.

So yes, do come but do take precautions like mosquite repellent.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

Don't let the risk of dengue put you off visiting Thailand. If you are sensible, wear good mosquito repellant & if really worried cover up, mainly dusk & dawn. I contracted dengue in Myanmar last year and live in Singapore, where the number of dengue cases have been at an all time high. It doesn't affect our daily life at home and doesn't stop me travelling anywhere, we are just at the end of 18 days in Thailand (& if I contacted it again I would have a much higher risk of haemorraegic fever). Whilst it is very unpleasant the risk of fatality is very low if you are fit & healthy. Enjoy Thailand, it's an amazing county.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

I also wouldn't cancel, i can uderstand your concerns but as the others have said you just need to make sure you use a good repellent and remember to spray it on the soles of your feet as people sometimes forget to spray there.

10. Re: dengue fever a bit worried

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2013, 23:05