We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

Can you take the coconut shell lights they sell in Phuket into Australia?? I really would like to take them home but I know Australian customs are very strict. Also bamboo items. I'm pretty sure you can't take other wood however I'd really like any info possible.

Many thanks : )

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

I was also very wary of bringing wood products, however our experience this year was we purchased a wooden carving in BKK, declared it on entry, the customs official asked what it was, was it polished, sealed etc and he sent us on our way and didn't even want to look at it. Provided there are no holes in the wood where insects could live etc you should be fine. If not you run the risk of it being destroyed or having to pay for it to be treated. Just be sure to declare it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

Should be no problem if treated as per last post .. but you still must declare it.

http://daff.gov.au/biosecurity/faqs

"You will be given an Incoming Passenger Card (IPC) before you arrive in Australia. This is a legal document. You must tick Yes if you are carrying food, plant material or animal products. You can take these declared items with you to the clearance point where they will be assessed by a DAFF officer."

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

We brought a coconut shell and bamboo wind chime back through Melb customs with no problems. We delared it but they said it was ok.

Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

Awesome thanks for your replies. Much appreciated : )

Happy Travelling!!!

New Norfolk...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

Are these those lamps for sale of all the different animal shapes?

if so I brought back a few in july with no troubles at all, but make sure you declare it!

6. Re: Can you take the coconut shell lights into Australia??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Patong