We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I being taken for a ride?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Am I being taken for a ride?

I've just been making some enquiries with a TA recommended driver and have been quoted 5000 baht to go from Patong to Krabi one way. Phuket Shuttle charges 2500 baht but I thought a private driver would be more likely to stop along the way but for double the price that seems a bit steep. Just wanted to check if anyone knows if that's in the right ball park or am I being milked?!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

Really have no idea on price to Krabi, but my thinking is it could be about right. I paid 3000b from Khao Lak to Phuket, and thats closer. What you have to remember as well is, that they are very unlikely to have a return fare.

Shuttle is always lots cheaper , as you are paying 2500b per head, and there is lots of other people paying that price, they also probably have return shuttle making money as well. Your 5000 is for the private driver, you could have 2 or more in the car.

Michelle

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I was originally going to book Phuket shuttle but we'd like to have a driver that would be willing to stop a couple of times along the way if there's something we want to see and not sure if the Phuket shuttle would do that even if it's a private saloon car, not shared.

There are only two of us in the car, my husband and myself. If there were more of us splitting 5000b it wouldn't be so bad. I've decided to contact a couple of other drivers and see what their rates are. It's a shame because we need a driver for a few different things so I was hoping to get a good overall rate.

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
223 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

try mr Chai from SRC travel, that s his number 086 270 7585... he offered me 600 baht for airport transfer and 1200 baht for 6 hours private driver... I also heared of day tour that goes from patong to krabi, it was around 2200 baht, if u dont get sea sickness and since the weather is great at this moment, that could be an option to.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

5000bht?(£100-00!)

how many days does it take to get there ?

Edited: 08 January 2014, 23:15
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

A couple of years ago it was around 3500 baht for a private Krabi transfer, so maybe because you want to stop at places along the way etc, it is more expensive. Contact a few other drivers for quotes then at least you will have an idea of prices.

Cathy

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

Thanks Jacooob. We don't need a day trip tour as we are staying 4 nights in Ao Nang - we plan to get the ferry on the way back from Krabi to Patong but wanted to do the drive one way so as to see more of the country. I've contacted a couple of other drivers and have been quoted 3000baht for the drive to Ao Nang.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

We sent friends in May from Patong to Ao Nang 2500 baht in a car. Try krabishuttle.com, their base 2500baht price is for 2-3 people in a car, the "shuttle" name is deceiving. They booked a car back to Patong for similar price. If you wait until you get there you may get a cheaper price from one of the drivers off the street.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

5,000 Baht really is too much (as is 3,000 Baht to Khao Lak BTW).. 3,000 Baht sounds much more like it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

A shuttle for 2500 per person is extremely steep. Having travelled around there, I can guarantee it is nowhere near that price!

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I being taken for a ride?

The 2,500 Baht Phuket Shuttle charges is for the vehicle, not per person.

Get answers to your questions about Patong