We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdon
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

Hi,

We are flying into Singapore spending 4 days before heading up to Phuket arriving 4th Feb and leaving on the 23rd Feb. We are all sorted for the period from 9th-23rd staying at the holiday inn with our two young children aged 15 months and 7. We have stayed there before and know its quite a while to do but our son loves it and with our daughter the holiday will be more relaxing not jumping around lots.

I do now have to find somewhere to go from 4th to the 9th. We are arriving into Phuket airport and i did look at maybe heading up north but the flights are really expensive, thought about down to Penang but again expensive flights. I had intended to stay at holiday inn from 4th and then do somewhere after so i was thrown by no availability.

Can anyone give me any advice on somewhere that will be nice, family friendly for us to head to for the 5 nights we need to fill. I visited Phi Phi several times from 1999 and the last time in 2006 did not impress me and reading again about it now doesn't not make me think its right for us. Ive also been to Ko Lanta a few times but not in recent years and think i went from Krabi so no idea of travel times. Ive never been to Ko Lak, so that could be a possibility but then thinking am i better just picking one of the other beaches nearer Phuket to chill for 5 nights?

Any advice welcomed and appreciated.

Lisa

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
686 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Oh please, try Khao Lak. It is so beautiful, quiet and relaxing. You can organize a transfer through Boss at cheaper than hotel taxis. The Leaf by Katathani has nice refurbished accommodation, reasonably priced within walking distance to shops/restaurants. If money is no issue, try the Sands...beautiful. We also love The Kantary, but out of town and no kids allowed at this time of year .

Safe and happy travels

Cheers

Verrena

United Kingdon
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Thank you Verrena so much for your response. Can you give me an idea of transfer time to Khao Lak from Phuket airport and then back to Patong?

Will go have a look at your recommendation right now :) Maybe the final piece of our month long trip will fall into place, finally.

Thanks

Lisa

United Kingdon
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Tried to edit to say that myself and my family totally loved visiting Phillip Island and had a brilliant experience seeing all the wonderful animals in the wild. We hope to be back when our daughter is old enough to appreciate it and when we can get over the shame of our cricket teams recent performance!

wigan
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

Khao Lak would be my choice.Beautiful and not nearly as busy as Phuket.Its about 2 hrs from phuket but well worth the journey.Many hotels on this sight to choose from.Enjoy.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
686 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Hi Lisa,

Yes we are very lucky to live on Phillip Island. It is so beautiful!

Ok transfer times from phuket airport to khao lak approx 1.5 hours, we paid 1500 baht for a minivan ( we did the reverse though, going from the JW Marriott khao lak to the airport) perhaps a little cheaper for a car.

Then from khao lak to patong around the same 1.5 hrs we paid 2000 baht again for a minivan but that was from patong to khao lak to the Kantary which is a fair way out of town. Hope this helps. Certainly e- mail Boss and he will get back to you usually very quickly with times and costs.

We too are having a month in Thailand again this year ( our 16th visit) so yes we really love it and khao lak is really lovely. I don't think you will be disappointed. Look forward to hearing how you go and what you book.

cheers

Verrena

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
686 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

Hi Lisa,

Yes we are very lucky to live on Phillip Island. It is so beautiful!

Ok transfer times from phuket airport to khao lak approx 1.5 hours, we paid 1500 baht for a minivan ( we did the reverse though, going from the JW Marriott khao lak to the airport) perhaps a little cheaper for a car.

Then from khao lak to patong around the same 1.5 hrs we paid 2000 baht again for a minivan but that was from patong to khao lak to the Kantary which is a fair way out of town. Hope this helps. Certainly e- mail Boss and he will get back to you usually very quickly with times and costs.

We too are having a month in Thailand again this year ( our 16th visit) so yes we really love it and khao lak is really lovely. I don't think you will be disappointed. Look forward to hearing how you go and what you book.

cheers

Verrena

7. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Patong