We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Hi - I'm heading off to Patong and Koh Samui soon. Usually I grab a bottle of Grey Goose or Crystal Head vodka at duty free Brisbane before departures (the only place I can justify that money) but I was wondering if anyone knows if vodka, or other bottle spirits, are cheaper at the shops in the street when I get there than duty free in Oz. Thanks in advance if you can answer my VIQ (very important question) :-). Loz

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Hi Loz

I am not sure about Grey Goose or Crystal Head vodka , but across the board most ":standard : alcohols are quite cheap in Phuket, things like Baileys are similar prices to Aus

Checkout Cathy and Garys travel page and price guide

cathyandgarystravelpages.com/phuket.htm

And you will find a 2014 price guide of alcohol and other stuff at the bottom of this page

cathyandgarystravelpages.com/phuket_shopping…

Michelle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

yes, you won't find Grey Goose or Crystal Head in the shops in Phuket I am almost certain. Mostly cheaper brands and sometimes smirnoff. Not sure about some of the really large liquor stores in Patong but in the marts around 600-800baht approx for a large bottle of vodka.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

You most definitely can buy Grey Goose in Phuket, the Deli supermarket sells a 750ml bottle for 1685baht and I would think that the bottle shop in Carrefour would also have it and that it would be a bit cheaper again. Smirnoff is available everywhere and then you also have rock bottom price vodkas for under 300 baht a bottle :)

Cathy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

I thought Carrefour had pulled out of Thailand now. The one at Jung Ceylon is now Big C. Are there others remaining as I found the range better than at Big C as we are popping down to Phuket on Monday for some serious shopping. :-)

Edited: 22 February 2014, 08:13
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Carrefour is long gone, they all turned into Big C extras.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Whoops I mean Big C (I miss Carrefour it was so much better stocked and cleaner).

Edited: 22 February 2014, 13:14
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

I miss the Carrefour song. At 3pm every day, everything stopped, the Staff all came into the aisles and they played the Carrefour song which they danced to. 5 minutes later music stopped and they all carried on as though nothing had happened! So funny, so Thai! :-),

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Thanks Michelle - that was what I was hoping for. I hate getting weighed down with a carry on bag, laptop and then add a duty free bag. Plus we have a 2 hour wait in Bangkok before Phuket flight. I was also reading something about a "problem" with duty free in Thailand as well that unnerved me.

Lorraine

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Thanks for that info - definitely the way to go and not only save money but also save carrying around a duty free bag for 10 hours.

cheers, Lorraine

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of alcohol in Patong and Koh Samui

Awesome Cathy - the voice of experience?! Yay - now I don't have to struggle with duty free bags for 10 hours (including transit thru Bangkok) plus cheaper. Have added this to my Phuket info "bible".

Cheers

Lorraine

Get answers to your questions about Patong