We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong or Karon?

MELBOURNE, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Patong or Karon?

Thinking of Holiday Inn Patong or Centara Grand over New Year Period.Think my husband & I would prefer beachfront & quieter Karon but have read on TA the great kids facilities at HI.Have been to Phuket once before (before kids) & found Patong pretty crazy & sleazy.Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong or Karon?

If I was going to stay in Patong I would pick the holiday Inn. It has a great reputation and location. I prefer to stay out of Patong so I would go for centara. I hear it is fantastic for kids.

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong or Karon?

If you found Patong to be pretty crazy and sleazy before I doubt whether you will find it has changed much. Karon is much nicer and Kara nicer still IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong or Karon?

The Kata Beach resort in Kata is also a good option as it has direct beach access and has a good choice of restaurants and bars nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Beyond Resort Kata
Beyond Resort Kata
1,651 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong or Karon?

Always Karon. We love the hustle of Patong but love it even more when we get a tuk tuk back to Karon. Karon offers an easier pace and the shopping is maybe not as broad but find the markets and you will get good prices , as long as yu barter. The beach at Karon hasnt the activities that Patong has but then it has a safer feeling. Patong is only a 12-15 minute ride away but Karon is more serene. If that is possible in Thailand. Oh 2014 is our 5th visit to Karon. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong or Karon?

I have been to Patong 20 times and never found it sleazy, as I never went looking and knew the places not to go.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong or Karon?

Have to agree, I love Patong for a visit but much nicer to stay in either Karon or Kata, not that the Centara Grande is quite a bit of a walk into the centre of Karon or you would have to get a taxi each time

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong or Karon?

Centara Grand resort right on the beach has superb family facilities, yes it is a bit away from busy part of Karon but the absolute beachfront location plus facilities a great choice

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
MELBOURNE, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong or Karon?

Hi,

Thanks for all your info.Really appreciate it.Looks like Karon might be better suited for us.Any other suggestions for good resorts,walking distance to shops and very close or on beach??

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
9. Re: Patong or Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Patong