We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in Thailand?

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
12 days in Thailand?

Hi,

My friend and I are travelling to Thailand in May (flying to phuket) for around 12 days I have done some research and we want to stay in patong Koh phangnan Koh phi phi Khao Sok and maybe krabi. We haven't booked any accommodation or anything. I'm just wondering is it easy enough to get and if we are getting the ferry to the islands do you need to book in advance or can you just turn up on the day?

Will it be easy enough to find places are people helpful? Is it easy to get buses etc? If that makes sense like where to go?

Are there a lot of places to convert money or is it better To do that before we go?

This is my first time so I'm a bit in the dark with loads of questions lol!

We are planning to take a suit case because all my things will not fit in a bag pack!! is this practical? I don't think we will be waking a lot of places we will be getting taxis of and from our hotel to the bus/ferry when moving islands so I thought a case would be ok?

Any advice of places to visit?

Any help/ guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

Hi Kelly

' I have done some research and we want to stay in patong Koh phangnan Koh phi phi Khao Sok and maybe krabi'

Thats just way to much in 12 days IMO.

For one thing Koh Phangan is on the East Coast whereas Phuket/Phi phi and Krabi Provence is on the West coast.

I would stick to one coast and do no more than 3 places. You will otherwise spend to much time checkind in and out of hotels and travelling.

Convert your money in Thailand. You will get a better rate.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 21:23
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,616 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

Hi,

As Dodger suggests you are planning to do way too much in those twelve days, narrow it down and stick to one coast. Do note that it will cost you the best part of a day to travel from one coast to another.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

Thanks really appreciate ur help

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

If you went to all those places, all you would do is spend your whole holiday between destinations! If you want to spend some time actually enjoying a holiday, you really do need to pick no more than three places. Out of the ones you listed, I would suggest Patong, Phi Phi and maybe Krabi. I would still probably recommend to base yourself at your accommodation at Patong, then do day trips to other places from there, so you dont lose a day each time you check out, travel and check in somewhere else.

A case should be fine - be aware that if you take a traditional "long tail" boat across to any of the islands, it will probably get very wet, so make sure its waterproof. Consider packing a small day back pack as well, or buying one in Patong - there's lots of luggage shops on the main street parallel to the beach at Patong.

If you take a ferry across to Phi Phi island, it will take most of your day - if budget is not a major issue, its lots faster to take a modern speed boat which only takes 1.5 hrs to get there. A day tour is very popular to get you there and stop/snorkle at 3 or 4 nice places, then get you back to your hotel at dusk. Alternatively book in somewhere for a night there if you want.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

Thanks so much!!

6. Re: 12 days in Thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:28