We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anzac Day

Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anzac Day

Is there anything on in patong for ANZAC day considering there is always heaps of aussies there?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anzac Day

I'm sure you'll find heaps on in Patong,especially Bangla Road,tho' I'm pretty sure Patong does not have a march down the main street.....However plenty of drinkys...!!

Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anzac Day

No worries thank you

Sunshine Coast Qld...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anzac Day

I have been there previously on Anzac Day and played two up in bars along beach road.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anzac Day

Hi Lilmik..

I would be careful playing 2 up, the police would be onto you in a flash. A big hole in your holiday and your budget.

As far as I know the closest to an 'official' Anzac day do is at Speedy's Bar. Speedy is a real digger, so it is the right thing to do. For more info I suggest you contact Cathy who often posts here, she is a destination expert for Phuket. Also can contact her through her webpage cathyandgarystravelpages

They are good friends of Speedy, and can bring you up to date. Then maybe you can post it here?

We won't forget,

Mark.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 12:58
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anzac Day

Hi guys and like Mark said Speedy is a Vietnam and Cambodia Veteran (over 30 years service) and most definitely has something on Anzac Day.

His bar is called Speedy's Bar (one of the first Aussie bars in Patong) and is in Soi Dongtan, which has 2 entrances, one off Bangla Rd and the other off the beach bar, walk down the little laneway past the Sailor Bar and turn right at the toilets, you will see Speedy's Bar on your right a couple of bars down.

They will be opening at 0900 on Anzac day with egg and bacon rolls for Breakfast. Then they watch two dawn services on TV. After that they watch the AFL game, followed by two up and stew is on for lunch.

There are elections on so the bar will be closing that night at 1800

Cathy

Edited: 18 April 2014, 07:53
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anzac Day

Does anyone know if speedys is still in this same location, I've spoken to someone in his family and apparently his moved but they were unsure where too

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anzac Day

Speedys Bar is still there but only until the end of this month. That whole area which includes the Sailor Bar, Irish Bar etc etc have to be out by then due to the land being sold and of course another hotel going in there.

Cathy

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anzac Day

Ah that is sad! But on a plus side, I'll be in Thailand as of Saturday and phukete as of the following Friday! I'll pop in and day hello!

9. Re: Anzac Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 05:15