We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong or Karon???

Kent
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Patong or Karon???

We plan to stay for 5 nights in Phuket from 31st December 2014 to 5th January 2015. We are having difficulty deciding which resort would be best to stay in, which is best suited to our tastes. We like to be some where quite lively with plenty of night life available if we want it and somewhere with beautiful beaches, but somewhere not too tacky with 17 year olds running around drunk out of their minds! I am worried that there will not be enough nightlife in Karon but it may be like an 18-30s holiday resort in Patong. Any advice/recommendations will be greatly received. Thanks.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong or Karon???

I would choose a hotel in Patong. Much more options of nightlife.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong or Karon???

Choose a nice big one with lovely facilities and big, generous rooms like an oasis in Patong - just like the Holiday Inn Resort at Patong (Busakorn Wing, ie newer section, is excellent.) Book direct online and get the best price, can't recommend it highly enough really.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 15:17
Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong or Karon???

Sarah, We spent Christmas at Banthai in Patong and loved it. We were out of town at New Year but returned to Banthai who had a sensational New Year Eve dinner at The Port. Resort is great, staff are fantastic and you will not have the 19 year olds running wild. It is the dearest time of year but staying opposite the main beach at Patong is something special on New Year, the fireworks and the excitement is second to none, and you will be right in it. Everyone travels to Patong Beach for it, and getting a tuk tuk or taxi home is near impossible, good to be able to walk. There are a few good resorts along the Beach Rd, Banthai is my favourite due to location and service. You will have a great time.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong or Karon???

Hi,

Depends on what you want to do. Karon is much more relaxed and laid back. Our Family holiday there was fantastic. It had enough shops for the wife and plenty of great restaurants that catered for a young family. The beach was not over crowded like patong and it was quite clean. That being said, there is not a lot of night life (which suited us). It was only a short ride to Patong which we did a few times for a change.

If you stay in Karon highly recommend the Red Onion and the mid week night market at the temple.

Cheers

D.

5. Re: Patong or Karon???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 21:45
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong or Karon???

If you spend a heap on time in Taxis going from Karon to Patong, its very expensive.

I would choose Patong based on what you have said. Yes it will be hectic at Xmas as will everywhere. I think you get a lot more families at that time of year, and maybe less drunk 18 - 30 year olds. That said I am 50, love Patong, dont do the party scene, its so easy to avoid those areas. The party scene is really only Bangla rd at night the rest is ok.

Once in your resort you are isolated from the rest of the world.

Bonus with Patong is you have the choice of party or not, without having to travel, so if anyone in your group has had enough they can go back to resort and other can keep going if thats what they want to do

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong or Karon???

Hi, I would recommend Patong as well. Plenty of night life, and heaps to do. I haven't seen 17year olds running around drunk. Actually most people are responsible and respectful. I love Patong and I am in my 50s and there are all ages from young adults to people in there 70s and over.

Viv

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong or Karon???

You have to weigh which is more important to you: a beautiful beach setting or night life at your convenience. Unfortunately, neither Patong nor Karon offer both. Patong Beach is blah; Karon's night life doesn't get much beyond having dinner at a restaurant that has a live band. Going from one spot to the other is about 800 baht round trip last time I did it. (Though, on holidays like NYE, prepare for extortion). If sun bathing and swimming with a beautiful backdrop doesn't necessarily have to be on the beach, then choose a nice resort in Patong. As others have mentioned, that way you can access the night life on foot.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong or Karon???

Hi, I would also consider Kata, nice beach with a good choice of bars and restaurants, it's more laid back than Patong and I prefer it over Karon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong or Karon???

There are hotels in Karon that offer free or much cheaper transport between Karon and Patong. Karon is a MUCH nicer beach than Patong and very long. If you stay down the southern end there is also snorkeling directly off the beach is you like that. Horizon Karon offer a free shuttle service between their resort and the sister resort on the beach road in Patong for free so best of both worlds really, or you can stay at the one at Patong and get the shuttle to Karon. There are others that offer these shuttles as well so check them out. We normally stay in Karon and just go to Patong for a night or this time we are staying at Horizon Patong for 3 nights (incl our first night arriving at 9pm) My daughter has stayed in Patong and she is 21 and although she loves the nightlife there (of course) even she said the beach is only soso at Patong and much nicer at Karon. Tuk Tuks/taxis between the two are VERY pricey about 800 baht return these days so that is a big chunk. That is why the free shuttles are really worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Patong