We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New taxi rates

Besancon, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New taxi rates

Hello !

On this site thephuketnews.com/huge-changes-proposed-for-… I read : "The first two kilometers will cost passengers B50, three to 12 kilometers will cost B12 per km, distances beyond that will be charged at B10/km."

This would mean a fare from the airport to Patong (+/- 40 km) would cost a bit less than 600 bahts, including the 100 bahts airport fee ( I had paid 700 on a metered taxi), and that goinf from Patong Beach to Paradise Beach (+/- 6 km) would only cost 100 bahts.

Can someone tell me if the new taxi rates have already been applied ?

BTW, is it easy to find taxis able to carry five adults ?

Thank you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New taxi rates

The rates have not yet been agreed formally or no date set for them to be implemented AFAIK. The rates may have been proposed but there are practical implications such as obtaining and installing meters in taxis, agreeeing booking systems, setting up call centres, agreeing parking arrangements at the airport. This is a radical and very much welcome change to the existing system and will not happen overnight.

Minibuses are more common for 5 adults plus luggage. Try Phuketshuttle.com for a pre-arranged private transfer.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 17:47
Besancon, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New taxi rates

Thanks Arandora.

With TA I found a private taxi, Lek, for the airport transfer and our half-day trips. But just before October I will check if the new rates are applied.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New taxi rates

We arrive 22 August, will this new fare structure apply to local Tuk Tuk trips in Patong? Or will the usual 200thb local trip rate still apply.

Cheers

Jas

Kata / Karon Phuket
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New taxi rates

Hi,

Those rates are a proposal and being discussed.It will take time to implement these changes due to the logistics of doing it, we all of course hope that this is done and the sooner the better, but from my experience often these things are talked about and nothing happens. But in saying all that the new Military Government seems pretty determined to sort a lot of things out and has been pushing lots of things through at pace, so fingers crossed:)

Regards

Phil Hubbard

GM/Owner Villareal Heights Hotel Kata Phukey

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New taxi rates

Prices are still exactly the same here for tuk tuks etc, to me nothing much has changed at all, they still take up most of the parking places along the beach road and along Rat-u-Thit Rd near Jungceylon. Plus where they have had their shelters pulled down they disappeared for a few days but are now back in a lot of places around Patong sitting on chairs under umbrellas.

Cathy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New taxi rates

Rome wasn't built in a day, let alone Patong! ;-)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New taxi rates

It will take some time for the new prices to be released....the sooner the better! :-)

Besancon, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New taxi rates

Thanks to all.

I'll tell you in November when I'm back what was the situation in October.

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New taxi rates

I remember reading an article in the newspaper that the new rates would come into force end of August. I think someone had posted a link on this forum previously.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New taxi rates

The new rates have not been approved as previously stated in this topic and are unlikely to be so before the end of August. Rest assured as soon as they are confirmed to have been introduced it will be posted on this forum. Lots of things happening in Thailand at the moment. Some take longer than others. If you can find that other link and post it it would help.

Get answers to your questions about Patong
Recent Conversations