We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket

Which Rawai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
phuket

we are travelling to phucket (1st time ever) and are thinking of staying at Rawai. We are both in our 60's and do not wish to hire a car, is this a good spot, help

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phuket

Rawai is a very quiet area. Not a lot to do. Beach is OK, but there are better.

Not sure how far it is from Patong-about 10/15 ks, so you will need to get a tuk tuk or taxi.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phuket

Little bit further from Patong, about 30mins or more depending on traffic. We really like Rawai but it is very quiet compared to the other beachside towns. Really all depends on what you are looking for on your holiday. There are some lovely restaurants but if you want lots of shopping etc you will be relying on transport a lot.

Cathy

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: phuket

I wouldn't stay at Rawai my first trip. At the very least split your stay b/w Rawai and another more popular area, even Patong. Especially in low season, where even Patong can seem too quiet.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phuket

Hi,

I love the Rawai area and never hire a vehicle when I stay here. My favourite beaches in the area are Nai Harn and Yan Nui 150 bht in a taxi 5 minutes away around 30 mins to walk. Longtails to the islands Bon Island is lovely and Racha Island also Coral Island. It would help if you could tell us the time of year that you are going and what you are looking for so we can help you further. Splitting your time is very popular between resorts as it allows you to experience more. Kata is also very nice with two lovely beaches and only 15 minutes from Patong.

Julie

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: phuket

thankyou for all your replys we are going in late june early july. thinking of staying at the serenity anyone stayed there and are taxis from rawai to patong expensive.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phuket

Serenity is quite isolated from anything walking distance. I think the beach is ok to swim but it is not the turquoise water of the west coast beaches (Kata, Karon Patong) however that time of year it is not advisable to swim.

If you don't mind eating in the hotel and paying for taxis to go anywhere then I am sure it is nice. If not I would recommend Kata or Karon Beach. Quiet enough this time of year and walking distance to everything.

The area around Serenity is not very touristy at all. Taxi to Patong would probably about at least 700 baht if not more.

Alternatively Nai Harn is a nice quiet area. iF you stayed at the Yacht Club you could still walk to some local eateries on the beach, convenience store etc..yet not be in a touristy area.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: phuket

thanks, has anybody stayed in kata or karon, we would like a 1 bed unit appreciate any ideas on where to stay.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 04:43
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phuket

Hi,

In Kata have a look at Kata Beach Resort and Baray Villas

http://www.katagroup.com/katabeach/

www.thebarayvilla.com

9. Re: phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 07:16