We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Which Rawai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Hi all,

Appreciate any kind advice please.

I will be travelling to Phuket during the week of Christmas and have tentatively booked accommodation at Serenity (saw that it was ranked no. 1 in tripadvisor). The only problem is that the resort only has one dining option, 88East. While we will not be travelling out often because I am bringing my 2yo along, we would like some variety in meals. Is there anything nearby within walking distance fo lunch and dinner?

Also, according to Serenity, there is a local taxi syndicate operating just outside the resort so they can't offer additional free trips to Patong. It is likely that I have to hire a taxi to Patong. Does anyone have an idea how muh it will cost? I understand the trip is 45mins? Will I be better off to hire a driver and does anyone know how much it will cost?

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

There are some places to eat in the vicinity. Not the best around IMO, but it would make change.

Taxi to Patong should be 600 Baht according to the new, recently released standard fares, and will take about 30 minutes.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 11:22
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Can you drive yourself? Its seriously cheaper and more freedom than relying on taxis. We just did a week in Phuket and my husband drove the whole time with no issues. The roads are good, some a little steep and windy but overall they are fine. Thai drivers are very courteous. Our car well actually minivan 7 seater was 1200baht a day including insurance from Phuket Car Rental. They met us at the airport when we arrived and then again when we brought the car back. Very efficient. Even had a GPS in the car for us! Lovely people.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

There are lots of excellent restaurants nearby BUT not in walking distance - maybe you should rent a car. Some of my favourites are the seafood restaurant in Rawai 'sea gypsy village', Kan Eang @ Pier in Chalong, Rim Tang @ Chalong near Chalong Temple and the many restaurants near Phuket Zoo which you child would enjoy a trip to the zoo too! Nearer to Serenity is "SOi Sai Yaun" a road several km ong but with loads of restaurants at the end nearer to Nai Harn Beach. If at Nai Harn Beach try The Coconuts restaurant and Ao Sane Beach Restaurant too they serve good food. You can see a bit on this blog:

dawninphuket.blogspot.com/p/restaurants.html and http://rawaiphuket.blogspot.com/

Dawn

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Yes, excrellent restaurants a bit further away, also at Rawai beach.

Personally I would prefer Kan Aeng 2 over @ pier, much, much better value, and I would recommend against Phuket Zoo. Don't think there is any zoo in the world that is a greater disgrace.

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Hello all, thank you very much for your tips. From wat i gather, serenity doesnt seem such a good place to stay? Any recommendations on where else i cam stay? Are the restaurants open over Christmas?

@stevenl: u mentioned the standard fee is 600bht to patong. So that means all the drivers will abide to it or i will likely hv to bargain hard to get it?

Does anyone hv a map of phuket that i can refer to?

Thanks much as always!!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Don't know yet, the standard fees should be abided to by all tuktuk and taxi drivers. If they ask more, there is a number in their taxis you can call.

This is all new, so we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

I would prefer to stay a bit closer to some nice places, and Rawai Palm Resort would for me be a much better choice than Serenity.

All places will be open over christmas.

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Thanks stevenl! I think I may end up hiring a driver instead for one or two trips we will be making - prefer the flexibilty in timing. Any idea how much such transfer companies charge?

I saw P&D being mentioned a few times in the Rawai forum. Does anyone know what kind of vehicles they use? My hubby is quite cautious about local taxis when we bring our toddler along - he would prefer clean vehicles with interiors of the typical hotel transfers. Would be great to hear from anyone who has used them recently. All any other transport companies for that matter.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

I was just this morning driving behind P&D vehicle. It was driving irritating slowly, so probably good for you, in front of me, I think a Corolla (could have been something similar), running on LPG, with green/white plates, so licensed for passenger transporttation.

Patong
Level Contributor
476 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

Try the Two Sisters at Nai Harn excellent value.

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat at Rawai + how to get around - toddler in tow

@stevenl: lucky me for you to run into a p&d car lol. If u dun mind, i wld like to ask ur advice on another qn bcos u seem like u knw phuket inside out =p say if angsana phuket has a room w pool access at the same price as the penthouse i m getting at serenity that comes w private pool, which one would b a better option for me considering i hv a toddler, want to spend most of the time in the hotel, taking one day trip to phuket n prefer to hv access to good walking beach.

Everybody else's advice is greatly appreciated too!!

@FMinP: thanks for the advice on two sisters!! Any idea their charges to patong fr rawai n wat vehicles they use?