We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udon Thani to Vientiane

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Udon Thani to Vientiane

Hello,

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, since it refers to both Thailand and Laos.

I am looking to get from Phuket to Vientiane. I found a cheap Air Asia flight to Udon Thani. My question is regarding the travel from Udon Thani - Vientiane.

I understand I will take a shuttle from the airport to the Laos border, cross over, and then hire another driver once in Laos to take me into Vientiane. As a female solo traveller, is this safe to do, or am I better off paying much, much more and flying from Phuket right into Vientiane?

Also, regarding the bus in Udon Thani - where does it depart from? Will I have to worry about taking a taxi from the airport to a bus station? Is there a schedule posted online somewhere? I was unable to find it and will be landing in Udon Thani at 4:30pm so would need a late afternoon transfer.

And, once I am in Laos, will it be easy to get a bus into Vientiane or will I be stranded at the border?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure this has been asked before, and I've been searching around and have found some information, but nothing concrete, and nothing about how safe this is for females travelling alone.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

I don't know about Udon Thani.

But Laos Immigration at the Friendship Bridge just outside Nonk Khai is easy enough.

Once across just take a tuk tuk for the 15Km or so ride into Vientiane.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

If you don't get many replies this would be a good question for the Thai visa forum. This route is very popular with expats as the Thai embassy in Vientiane is an easy place to get tourist visas. My understanding is that there is a bus directly from the airport to the bridge at the border in Nong Khai. The bus will leave after people have picked up their baggage, there doesn't appear to be a fixed schedule. Once you cross the bridge into Laos it is very easy to find transport into town.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

FYI, if anyone else is wondering about this process, I got a great response here....

tripadvisor.com/…51427408

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

The general rule in Thailand is, no one is ever going to leave you stranded at an airport, train or bus station. In this case, there's an obvious demand for transportation from Udon Thani to Nong Kai/Friendship Bridge, so it's no surprise there's a van making that run, whose departure will be synchronized to the arrival of incoming flights. By the same token, there's obviously a need for transportation from the Lao border to Vientiane so there are lots of tuktuks and vans available there. It's not something you ever need to worry about.

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

Hi

When you get to border crossing you will stand in line for about 15 minutes to get your passport stamped. I did it in march this year and I think it was about 20 dollars. While you are standing in line you will end up chatting to other travellers as long as your not to shy. I would advise you look to share tuk tuk in to Vientiane like I did. I went with three other groups as I was a single traveller and we made up a group of about six. This got me to hotel as we had done a deal with driver which got me there for about 1/4 of normal cost. Not a 1/6 as the driver went to three hotels instead of one. It is very easy, enjoy Vientiane.

Glen from Ireland.

6. Re: Udon Thani to Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21