We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udon Thani Airport to Laos

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Udon Thani Airport to Laos

Hello! Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I'm going to be in Udon Thani at the end of november and I wanted to spend a weekend in Vientiane. My plan was to take the bus at the airport to the friendship bridge and go from there (get a visa, ect ect).

I was reading around and I was just wondering if I would be able to get a seat/ticket to the Bridge on the same day I plan to travel, which would be a friday morning. Or if I should get a ticket before friday.

Also, if anyone has a better way to get to Vientiane than I'm planning that would be helpful too :)

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

"Also, if anyone has a better way to get to Vientiane than I'm planning that would be helpful too :)"

I don’t know if it's better, but it is another option.

When you arrive at the Udon Thani airport you’ll see just before you exit on your right hand side, a limousine service to the border. I think it it’ll cost you around 200/300 baht.

Once at the border you exit Thailand the take the bus for around 20 baht over the Friendship Bridge. Here you do the VOA, try to use US$ for this. Then after you enter Laos you can exchange foreign currency to Kip. Then you have the option of bus (4000 Kip / .50) or taxi to town.

A taxi will take you to your hotel, the bus will terminate at the bus station in town. Then you may have to get a tuk-tuk to your accommodation from there.

Have fun

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

I'm pretty sure there is NO bus from the airport, and the limo, 200 baht I think, is the easiest option, considering other options, which don't save much (taxi / limo to town, then bus). unless of course, you already hold a Laos visa, then taxi / limo to town / bus station, and int'l bus to vientiane, should be less than 200, and goes into vientiane town / morning market from udon thani bus station.

if not holding a visa already, you may get left at border, if delayed processing visa, though if in town already, only 80 baht fare to border isn't bad at all, whether left or not.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

That's awesome. Thanks so much. The limousine service from the airport sounds like the way I will probably go.

Thanks again!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

I do not hold a Laos visa. I was going to apply for one here in Canada so I could be prepped but it was nearly $300 Canadian for a single entry visa at the place I get my visa's done for travelling. And I know it's leagues cheaper to get a visa at the boarder.

Thanks for the info!

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

300 ...... F'that, it's only 30-42 USD at any entry point of Laos, depending on nationality, think Canucks are 30 or 35 USD.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

This site has a lot of useful information.

Have fun

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

Oops..........check that, according to site posted above........you Canucks are on the high end...42 USD.. damn.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

Oh, neat! Thanks. That website is super helpful :)

9. Re: Udon Thani Airport to Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:19