We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clayton or alexandria bay

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
clayton or alexandria bay

I come from NAIAGRA FALLS WITH RENT CAR WITH MY WIFE

I would like to stay in one night in 1000 Islands

Where should I book a room in advance

We want to make cruise to see the famous castle

And in the evening enjoy the excursion in late August

Where should you take a room

in clayton or alexandria bay

How long take drive from naiagra falls to 1000 ilends at monday august

thank yo in advance

Milledgeville...
Level Contributor
28 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clayton or alexandria bay

Hi,

It's probably a 4 hour drive on the NY side from place to place. Be careful, as US rental car companies often don't let you take the car across an international border (so stay on the NY side, and walk to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls).

Alexandria Bay is more scenic, but more tourist-oriented. Clayton has more good dining options and is slightly larger. I suspect getting a room in Clayton is cheaper than Alexandria Bay, but the nicest rooms in Alexandria Bay probably have a great view of the river. The two towns are 10 miles apart by car or boat. You cannot really appreciate the beauty of the Thousand Islands unless you can get out on a boat and see it.

There are actually two castles in this area on the U.S. side: Boldt Castle (the one you're probably thinking of), and Singer Castle (a longer boat ride to see that one, but also interesting if you're into castles). The weather in late August will probably be quite nice, and the water will be comfortable to swim in. Each city has events throughout the summer which might make booking hotels difficult, so you may want to check about that and reserve a room pretty soon, or you risk having to stay farther away from the water.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Clayton
Clayton
New York
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
444 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
2. Re: clayton or alexandria bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Alexandria Bay