We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

We are due to go to Djerba at the beginning of September and have been reading many different reports regarding what it is like there. Some news report said that several hotels were closed and the cafes empty with on a sprinkling of tourists there; refugees from Libya are in camps nearby and people are being advised to limit their travelling about. There are very few reports on Trip Advisor - probably reflects the fact that not many prople are going there

Can anyone help please?

Edited: 24 July 2011, 15:30
essex england
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

i was there mid june staying at riu palace royal garden,there was a few people from Libya staying at the hotel and they were quite friendly,did not see or hear of any refugee camps or see any problems in any of the towns .it may be suffering from lack of tourists because of bad / false press reports,that makes it much easier for those that do go ,my advise is go enjoy yourself visit the towns /sites taxis are cheap and safe everyone we met was helpful and friendly

kent
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

I completely agree with you ..... I have been searching for comments about Djerba for some time and there just isn't any!

We are travelling tomorrow (30th July) to Djerba for a 2 week holiday and staying at the Hotel 'Vincci Helios Beach' so will let you know when we get back the current situation!!

Our main concern is ... Do we go on any trips?? Or just have a relaxing holiday inside the complex (but then you could be anywhere!)

essex england
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

go on trips is my advice, taxis are cheap, everyone helpful you can do all the trips yourself rather than organised tours.Midoun is easy and not to much hassle from shopkeepers as so many fixed price shops

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Many thanks, most helpful.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Hope you have a great holiday, look forward to reading your report on your return.

Zarzis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Offcourse there are refugees staying at Djerba, like every place else here now in Tunisia, but the refugee camps are not at Djerba.

You can go on trips, I only wouldn't go to Tataoune at this moment, but offcourse that can change by the time you will go there.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

bumping this back up to the top of the list - grateful for any advice / information

Zarzis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Nothing changed in the situation, still the same as I did write before.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

Thankyou very much

Bradford
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is it like to holiday in Djerba now?

We've just got back and saw no trouble at all - go and enjoy yourself!

Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island