We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Hawaii
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

How easy is it to find a driver and guide to go from Djerba to Ksar Ghilane to Tozeur? Our route would be

Day 1: Arrive Djerba

Day 2: Djerba > Tataouine. Ksour circuit.

Tataouine > Chenini. Lunch, explore town.

Chenini > Ksar Ghilane. Overnight

Day 3: Ksar Ghilane > Douz > Tozeur

We could start with the guide from any point: Djerba, Tataouine, or Chenini. Anyone have any recommendations? And how much would it be for two people?

We would do this by public transportation if it were possible.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Try this link... might help you

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Edited: 03 February 2012, 13:47
Hawaii
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

The link has the same question, but no answers about guides.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Ok

I have been to Tunisia many times and hired guides and Taxis for the day

If you are unable to plan such excursions before you go,may i suggest you consult members of staff at your hotel I always do

For example, my last trip in November, the gate security man organised an 8 seater taxibus(with driver) for 4 of us to tour the areas we wanted to see.

We used this guy a number of times and the cost was way way below what we would have paid online or with our Holiday Company

And yes, they are licensed and accredited bona fide operators

Good Hunting

Mick

Edited: 03 February 2012, 17:22
Zarzis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Do you only want 3 days to drive or do you want to see also some things in those places, because I think you have maybe a little bit too much for 3 days?

And do you need to go from Tozeur again to Djerba?

You say that you can start from different places, but do you know that for excample taxi drivers from Djerba aren't allowed to drive to the mainland and taxis from the mainland aren't allowed to drive to Djerba?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Kanewai

This applies also on the mainland 4 seater taxis are restricted to zones/districts. The white 8 seater Taxibuses have no such restrictions.

I have not visited Djerba ,but surely man tourists do from there what you are planning

Zarzis

What mode of transport is used then ? You didnt specify

Surely tourists to Djerba can organise trips from there to the places mentioned

Mick

Edited: 03 February 2012, 19:57
Hawaii
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Thanks for the info.

We're going one-way, not returning to Jerba.

And I believe that we'd need a 4x4 to cross from Chenini to Ksar Ghilane, and from Ghilane to Douz. Hence, the need for a guide.

I think many tourists join organized Thomas Cook-type desert excursions, but that doesn't really appeal to us. If needed, we can louage to Tataouine, and then find a driver there. It might be easier / more affordable.

7. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 March 2012, 23:27
Edited: 11 March 2012, 23:27
Hawaii
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

I think we have it figured out. We'll travel from Djerba > Tataouine > Chenini using public transport, and overnight in Chenini. The Kenza Residence there wrote that they can help with finding driver Chenini > Ksar > Tozeur (about five hours).

So we'd miss out on an overnight in Ksar Ghilane, but Chenini sounds pretty cool too. It also saves us from having to hire a guide for an overnight!

It also makes it easier to do like you suggested, and find drivers when we are there.

Zarzis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Be carefull please with louage. I know there are persons who love this way of travel and it's cheap. But lately (the last months) there are even more accidents with louages than before.

And a lot of these accidents are happening when they are passing another car, so at the other side at the road, so big accidents.......

Clerryjungle, people go by organised tours which you can book tru your travel agencey or an agency at Djerba.

Or they hire a car.

For transfers Djerba - Zarzis - Djerba can be organised and asked for.

Maybe Djerbiano wil have a look at this topic and can help you out with a good contact to help you to organise this.

Djerba
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Djerba - Ksar Ghilane - Tozeur

Hi

You could have a package rate wich includ transport with 4wd, guide, all meals, overnight... departing from Djerba, just send an e-mail to Mr Moez Rassaa a local guide : rmoez@hotmail.com .He would help you with all programs and prices for a 3 days trip including Tataouine, Ksar Guilane, Tozeur...

Do not forget that you'll spend lot of time awaiting for public transport in such places...

Good day

Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
Recent Conversations