We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

Hi, a little bit of help please, We are just in the process of booking a week in Hammamet. 3 questions please: 1. from the airport is it reasonably easy to get transport to a hotel near the Medina in Hammamet? (also approximate price please if known). I can book an 'complete package deal', but the waiting around for all us sheep to be herded is a pain :).

2. For personal reasons we wish to visit Bizarte for the day, how best would that be ie: hire a car or public transport?

Also as it is advising us here on Trip advisor that there are security alerts :) how much risk do you think there is?

I live in Ibiza so am used to things being out of proportion - even on forums!!!!

Thank you in advance,

Eileen

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

Which airport are you flying into, Tunis or Enfidha. Several options from either for transfers to Hammamet, eg A2B.com, Resorthoppa.com (I'm using that tomorrow), and others.

Bizerte is doable by public transport on a day trip, but you'd have to transit Tunis by bus, and have to get from the southern terminus on arrival to the northern terminus for the bus to Bizerte. So that's a taxi job.

You wouldn't have long there before having to get the last available bus to get to Tunis, change bus stations, and catch a bus back to Hammamet.

By train, there are less trains available, and punctuality is less than guaranteed. So, you might miss your change in Tunis either going or returning. Have a look on either www.seat61.com for times, or the SNCFT website (French only)

I'm sure that it's also possible by louage, but I don't have a clue about the practicalities.

So, imo a hire car is your best option if you want to do the return trip in one day.

I hope security is fine, being as we've got 3 weeks d-i-y'ing it starting tomorrow. Just avoid large crowds, keep to the beaten track, and use common sense.

I'm sure someone will correct any of the info I might have got wrong, or come up with a more practical solution for a day return to Bizerte.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

@ibizaeileen<<<For personal reasons we wish to visit Bizarte for the day, how best would that be ie: hire a car or public transport?>>>

Don't want to be nosy. But if you're intending visiting the Commonwealth War Graves cemetery in Bizerte, then make sure you've got a good map to get there.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 17:07
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

As LancasterLad said - book a transfer before you go. Last time I arrived at Enfidha I had booked a transfer with resorthoppa. Was only me and my friend and a couple who were using it so no need for waiting around plus it wasn't a coach, we travelled in a large taxi and only cost £11 per person return.

For Bizerte - defo hire a car, it is quite a long journe to get to there from Hammamet, I'd say roughly 3 1/2 hours, maybe more. As previousy stated, if you use public transport you will literally arrive and need to turn straight back. Plus with a private hire car you can travel at your leisure, stop when yu want to etc on the way up there.

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

Thank you

A really great help!! - now I will get booking, I will be going down the route of booking a resorthoppa and hiring a car for our 'day out'.

One more thing - is there a good resort closer to Bizarte? On looking at the map I actually thought it was only a couple of hours away.

Eileen

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

Oh by the way - my Husband is an astrologer and really believes in being at the right place on our birth - date, - we get to visit some weird and wonderful places as a consequence :) !!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

I think it's less than 3 hours. We drove up from Sousse to Bizerte in April. It's nearly all the way highway, only in Tunis it changes to a more local road. Think from Hammamet you must be able to drive it in less than 2 hours.

UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

>>>> - is there a good resort closer to Bizarte? <<<<<<

Not quite sure what you looking for in a resort but we stayed at Gammarth a few years back which is about half the distance to BIzerte than it would be from Hammamet. Nearby is La Marsa which might also be of interest - lots of restaurants and a popular beach. Both these towns are just a short taxi journey from Tunis airport which would make it less expensive for you.

We rented a car with driver for the day whilst staying in Gammarth and found the charges very reasonable.

8. Re: taxi from the airport and visiting Bizarte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet