We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ramadan

dundee
Level Contributor
296 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
ramadan

Was wondering if anyone knew if the nightclubs are still open during Ramadan?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ramadan

Nightclubs are mainly fequented by the young locals, with very few tourists brave enough to hang around that crowd.

Strictly speaking, locals should not touch alcohol at anytime of the day for the duration of Ramadan which this year happens to fall in the mid of peak hoilday season. Nightclubs would be opened to cater for the olidaymakers, Any locals you may see there are hard core clubber who probably do not observe Ramadan at all.

Cheers

Cas

HALSTEAD
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ramadan

what month is ramadan this year. many thanks.

dundee
Level Contributor
296 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ramadan

Starts on 20th July I think

UK
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ramadan

Ramadan this year is between 20 July and 19 August

tunispro.net/tunisia/ramadan-in-tunisia.htm

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ramadan

Joannaspencer,

I don't knwo how you across this link, but fair play to you for finding it and posting it. I have posted few info and advice on Ramadan, but yours should be taken as more authorative than what I could ever have said.

Well done

Cas

HALSTEAD
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ramadan

many thanks for the info

Europe
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ramadan

>>>

Strictly speaking, locals should not touch alcohol at anytime of the day for the duration of Ramadan which this year happens to fall in the mid of peak hoilday season. Nightclubs would be opened to cater for the olidaymakers, Any locals you may see there are hard core clubber who probably do not observe Ramadan at all.

<<<

Well night clubs are usually open at night, and at night in Ramadan, alcohole is allowed to consume no more and no less than on nights (and then also days) outside of Ramadan. For orthodox Moslems, alcohole is alyways forbidden, Ramadan or not - and for the non-orthodox ones, they will drink it in both cases.

Now, in clubs in Tunisia, it is usually the better suited people who celebrate there (and most of them will not abstain from alcohole, but it is not because they are clubbers, but because they are usually not on the orthodoxe side...), the "poorer" ones will have someone to invite them and/or pay for them and/or drink just 1 drink ... or simply not visit such clubs at all (instead private party with bottles in their home).

Most night clubs in Tunisia are targeted at the "richer" Tunisians, not at holidaymakers (very few exceptions, eg. Bora Bora in Sousse which is a typical tourist entertainment). "Holidaymaker night clubs" are usually the discotheques on hotel premises and so-called "cabarets" are the nightclubs for Tunisians (mostly men, though). Again, there are but a few exceptions from this.

While visiting a night club or toruist discotheques usually yields no problem for tourists, the cabarets are a different matter and should be avoided namely by women...

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Sousse
Sousse
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
Hammamet, Tunisia
Destination Expert
for Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ramadan

<<<<<"Holidaymaker night clubs are usually the discotheques on hotel premises >>>> really afjab come on there are loads of night clubs in hammamet which are used by tourisit as well as tunisian, i wouldn't say that "discotheques" in hotel are where the tourist go to enjoy them selves, the disco's in hammamet are full of tourist, and i am not talking about hotel disco's, but to answer the op question, disco's in town centre will be open as usual.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ramadan

The link at posting 4 gets posted from time to time. See posting 5 on this previous thread not so long ago...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293753-i9122-k5…

It's an excellent link, and one which ought to be easily accessible, which it would be if this forum had a Top Questions section!

Europe
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ramadan

>>>

really afjab come on there are loads of night clubs in hammamet which are used by tourisit as well as tunisian

<<<

The point is that no such club can survive on tourists. The season is quite short, about 3 months only and numbers will simply not add up for the owners. If you visit those clubs off season, you will see that they are still open and on weekends quite full - which would not be the case if they target mainly tourists. Of course, the sheer number of tourists during the season might let one believe that it is a "tourist disco" - but, trust me, most of them are not. :)

I know eg. for a fact that many tunisians from the Sousse area visit the clubs in Hammamet (because then the chance of being "seen" by their family is smaller).

Another thing is that it is still an habit in Tunisia that tables have to be "bought" by ordering bottles of alcohole. It is those tables that make the most money, not the tourist who drinks 2 or 3 beers. :)

Mentioned in this post
Sousse
Sousse
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
Hammamet
Hammamet
Nabeul Governorate, Tunisia
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations