We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire a car

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hire a car

Hi there,

we usually like to get out and about a bit when on holiday - particularly when we are there for a fortnight as we will be in Hammamet.

We were thinking of hiring a car for a few days and getting out ourselves to explore a bit.

Can anyone advise:

- what kind of price is it per day to hire a car?

- is there easy access to petrol stations etc?

- do you have any recommendations for a particular hire company?

- finally, what sort of itinerary would you suggest? i.e. particular sights/towns to visit, what route to take. We don't want to be driving for hours on end, so within a reasonable driving radius of Hammamet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire a car

Use the search box, write 'car hire' and press return. Hey presto.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire a car

Oh wow! How clever and helpful of you!

If the info I'm after was there I wouldn't have posted. Plus I'm logging in on my phone so the search function is not as comprehensive on that.

Anyone with actual suggestions and tips? It would be most appreciated.

3. Re: Hire a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 09:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire a car

i was in skanes 3 yrs ago and rented a car. As i didn't have a credit card i had to pay a little extra for insurance. I think all in all it cost 50 euro for 1 day hire. That was for a ford fusion.

As for filling up the car, there was plenty of places to fill up and i had no issues with driving on the roads.

I hired the car through the hotel.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 22:42
Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire a car

Thanks Norton

what sights did you head for with the car?

essex
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire a car

In March this year I hired a car for six days from Liberty Cars in Monastir. Found them to be honest, didnt want a credit card deposit (but did hold onto my passport - returned) and didnt try to stuff me for 'damages' at the end of the six days. I was sold a small car for the price but got a Renault Symbol, think it was 250 TND.

Drove all the way down to Douz then Gafsa on the way back for a couple of days. The Drive Monastir to Douz took about 7 hours.

As some other people have posted on other threads, driving in Tunisia is an experience. Quite often I found myself driving through small towns where the horse and cart, motorcycle and pedestrian all seemd to have the right of way, and sometimes seemed completely oblivious to the fact that there was anyone else on the road other than them. Having said this I encountered a lot of helpfulness too, other drivers giving way as they saw a tourist car approaching.

I had two road maps the Nelles and a Michelin, I prefered the Michelin for navigating. No problems finding fuel (unleaded is called "sans plomb") and it is considerably cheaper there. Lots of people selling fuel by the side of the road, but i stuck to the petrol stations.

If I can help i any more feel free to message me.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire a car

Thanks for that info Maspalomas - really helpful.

I can imagine that driving in Tunisia is indeed an experience! However I will probably let the other half drive, given that he is well versed in crazy driving practices being Turkish! lol

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire a car

I would agree driving in tunisia is scary...dangerous...but somewhat exciting lol.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire a car

So we're thinking of hiring the car for 2-3 days and the following itinerary:

day one, head north and see Tunis & Carthage and Korbous (may not bother with Carthage as I think it is also included on the Sahara trip? if not we'll swing by) In particular I would like to go to the springs at Korbous.

day two, head south and take in Monastir (maybe), El Jem and on to Sfax. We were thinking to drive along the coast as much as possible, so that we can take breaks and maybe have a swim if it all gets too hot! If one day to do all three is too much, then probably will head to Monastir day two, and then El Jem and Sfax day three.

What do people reckon? In particular we would like to see plenty while we drive, 'real life' Tunisia and some nice views, and then take in a tourist attraction at each stop.

We will get up EARLY on each morning and be on the road by 8pm, taking our time, and be back at the hotel about 8pm.

Is parking in these areas, in particular Tunis and Monastir easy enough? or would it be better to take guided tours for some of them?

ta

UK
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire a car

We've never had a self drive hire car during our visits to Tunisia. Not because we were frightened but because renting a car with driver was relatively cheap and less stressful.

On two separate days, whilst staying in Gammarth, we had a car with driver. The first day we were taken to Kairouan and Bulla Reggia. The following day we went to Dougga followed by Hammamet and Nabouel, A couple of years later, whilst staying in Yasmine Hammamet, we went with driver/car to El Jem, Mahdia, Monastir, Sousse and PEK.

Away fromthe main cities the major roads are a joy to drive but I suggest you avoid down town Tunis which reminded us of driving through Cairo as both cities give equal rights of way to both herded animals, donkey carts and motorised vehicles.

Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations