We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Hammamet?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Hammamet?

Hi, me and my girlfriend, wanna go to Hammamet in September. We are 22 years old, and now i looking for some entertaiment, what we would do. Do you guys have any tips for for example trips, interesting places and some activities how to spend free time and not only sunbathing and shoping on markets. But we are students, so i appreciate if your advices wil be low cost, even if traveling in tunisia is pretty cheap, but you know, we want to see as much interesting places as possible, do as much interesting activities as possible and dont ruin our budget.

Thx for your advices :)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

It's easy to get to Tunis by bus for a day out.

The bus leaves from a bus stop about 200 metres inland from the Medina in Hammamet Centre. A ticket cost about TD4.500 (3€) each way. Pay on the bus.

The bus leaves hourly on the half hour. It takes about an hour to get get to the Southern Bus Station in Tunis, and then it's about a 15 minute walk to the centre (*Ave Habib Bourguiba (AHB)*). Buses return on the hour every hour until about 2000. Buy a ticket for the return in the ticket office at the Southern Bus Station.

Once you're in Tunis, and providing you've set off early enough from Hammamet, then it's easy to get the train to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said.

BUT I'd advise getting hold of a map on Tunis city centre, and also buying/borrowing a copy of Lonely Planet or Rough Guide. They'll help planning much easier than scratching your head on every street corner.

*Ave Habib Bourguiba (AHB)* is the main thoroughfare in Tunis. It's a v.vibrant part of the city, lots of cafes and places to eat. At one end is the Tunis Medina, and at the other is the tall clocktower. The train station for Carthage and Sidi Bou Said is about 400 metres past the clock tower on the right as you look at it from AHB. Close to the Medina you'll also come across the very colourful, bustling Central indoor fruit/veg/fish market.

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

If you are happy to drive yourself by hire car then I recommend Camel Car of Tunis very good cars all new good price the last time I used them they will deliver to your hotel or the airport.

If you wish I can guide you where to drive I have driven to many interesting places in the past 20 years in Tunisia.

Just go to my message board http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Messages

get a good map A micheline is the best

Edited: 28 August 2013, 07:42
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Will it be low cost tho? The OP is a student. Just thinking about cost, hire, fuel, etc.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Ref my #1.

You can also get the public bus that runs half-hourly between Yasmine - Hammamet Centre - Nabeul.

There's a train station at Hammamet. But it's on a branch line, and is only useful to get to the main line station at Bir Bou Regba and Nabeul. The train has a shedule, but in practice the timings are tied in to connect with the [often late] main line arrivals at Bir Bou Regba. So if fancy going to Sousse or Tunis by train then it's best to get a yellow metered taxi to the station at Bir Bou Regba.

You can get further up the coast [north] by shared louage. But [imo] unless there is somewhere specific you want to see then it's not really worth the effort.

An attraction a couple of miles outside of Hammamet Centre is the George Sebastian Villa [and grounds]...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297943-…

...we enjoyed it, but some of the recent reviews are a mixed bag.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Hi , We are going to the Sentido Phenicia in September and are travelling as a party of four My husband, myself and sister and brother-in-law.We would like to request a low floor room that is near to the reception and dining room etc. as my brother-in-law has copd and can't walk very far. Please does anyone have an e-mail address for the Phenicia so that I can request a room and also can anyone tell me is the hotel quite spread out , do you think he may have problems getting about? And lastly is there anywhere that we could hire a mobility scooter from if he finds it too difficult?. Thanks Carol

Edited: 28 August 2013, 21:39
England
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Sorry posted this in totally the wrong place.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

info.phenicia@sentidohotels.com

Internet: www.sentidohotels.com/phenicia

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Svebs (the OP),

As students on budget, here is some advice for you & your girlfriend.

•Watch out for rip-off merchants, especially if you don't know how to haggle and also don't get tempted by street and beach vendors.

•When changing your currency, do so little by little as you go along. Never change huge amount (and if you do, do not go around flashing your it)

•When out and about in taxis ensure that the drivers put their meters on, and always try to pay in loose coins.

•For longer journeys use public transport or shared taxis

•Alcohol is very expensive. Stick to local drinks

•Eat out where the local do.

Finally,

Don’t let your girlfriend wander around alone. She would attract some attention for some guys!!!

Cheers

Cas

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Guys how about diving or snorgling,is there any diving school or some great coast to snorgl in nearest area? And is there a possibiliti to rent a bike or scooter,I would like to travel by scootery,even if its dangerous due to traffic.And iam curious about priced of renting and diving school.Thx for all your responses :)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Hammamet?

Port el Kantenoui might be your best bet...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297952-i9165-k5…

Type 'Diving' or 'Snorkelling' into the Search box at the top of the page and you might spot something.

Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations