We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hammamet as a base

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hammamet as a base

Firstly I have never gone to a resort before. I am a larger city person to look at history, nature, cultural etc.

Hammamet is rather cheap in Dec for 1-2 weeks but would rather stay in the capital for 5 nights instead - higher cost.

Could you stay in Hammamet and do Tunis, Carthage, Dougga, El Djem, Star Wars and others?

All for a simple and low cost - ie buses, trains or shared taxis?

Thank you

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hammamet as a base

It's easy to get to Tunis from Hammamet by bus. The buses run hourly on the half hour from a stop just inland from the Hammamet Medina. They're full size coach type buses and comfortable. The trip takes an hour, terminates at the Tunis Southern Bus Station, and costs about TD4.500 (less than £2). Pay on the bus.

Buses return from same Bus Station on the hour until 2000 (I think). Buy your ticket in the Bus Station building.

It's a 15 minute walk in the centre of Tunis.

You can also get a train from Hammamet, but Hammamet's on a branch line, and you'd have to change to a main line train at Bir Bou Regba. So it can be time consuming and the train's aren't as frequent as the buses, and are often full.

You can also get a louage (shared taxi). But you have to wait for them to fill up, and while they might be a bit quicker than a bus you have to allow time for the vehicle to fill up (9 pax). Check the tyres before you get in.

See replies #1 and 2 on this link for getting from Tunis to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said by light train (TGM)...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293758-i9560-k5…

You can get to El Jem and further south by main line train from Bir Bou Regba. Here's a timetable for the various trains...

www.fahrplancenter.com/Fahrplan_SNCFT.html

If you want to go further south then you'll need overnight stays.

Get hold of a copy of Lonely Planet or Rough Guide or similar for maps of the main town centres, especially Tunis.

If you fancy staying overnight in Tunis then Hotel La Maison Doree is inexpensive, clean and only a 5 minute walk from both the main train station and the centre of Tunis (Ave Habib Bourguiba).

Edited: 02 December 2013, 07:49
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hammamet as a base

If you want a base in a town and not in a 'resort' I would advise to think about Sousse.

There are few hotels in the town (Tej Marhaba, Riadh palms,Kaiser,...) bit basic but central so easy to get to bus station, louage station and train lines.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hammamet as a base

Agree maenan. But Hammamet Centre isn't a bad place to base yourself either.

We stayed at Residence Hammamet, and it ticked most of the boxes budgetwise. It's got a traditional Tunisian feel to it, and is v.close to the bus stop for Tunis.

Here's my review...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297943-d3088…

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hammamet as a base

Hello Both,

Thank you. most helpful. Train, bus or shared taxi is fine. Love the bit about the tyres! Survived in shared transport in India so sure Tunisia would be better.

How does cost compare for shared taxis?

Sousse is a option as some low cost deals.

Many thanks

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hammamet as a base

I've been in a louage north of Nabeul, doing about 120KM down the middle of road when a front tyre blew.

No damage done, but when the jockey changed the tyre, the spare tyre he used was as worn as the one that'd just blown!

Since then whenever I mention louages I also include a word of caution about the tyres.

Louages are cheap, but depending how far you are going you may have to change from one louage to another, which will add time to your journey. You also don't know when the driver last had a good nights sleep.

Some of the passengers can be quite interesting too. I've been in a louage where a passenger obviously hadn't scrubbed for a week and he really ponged, and another who was coughing and spluttering so much that he should have been in a Hospital isolation unit!

Two very good budget B&Bs in Sousse are the Kaiser Hotel..

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295401-d3167…

and Hotel Zohra...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295401-d2698…

We've stayed in both of them, and can be booked on Travel Republic or Booking.com. But you might get a better deal at the Zohra by booking direct.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hammamet as a base

Nice! Some good and bad points.

Now need to ask friend if he is free.

Cheers

7. Re: Hammamet as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet