We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets and haggling

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northampton
Level Contributor
658 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Markets and haggling

Hi all, 35 days to go! Read a few bits about the market and from previous experience in other markets in other countries, they can take haggling quite seriously. What can we realistically expect to get the best bargains on and do they have the usual 'authentic' bags and what are approx guide to prices? If anyone can help, would appreciate it.

Rugby, UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets and haggling

Hi Gina,

Markets are full to the brim with 'Fake' sports and luxary goods, you have to be very careful regards the quality though, not a very high standard, particularly the watches.

As for haggling, despite numerous reviews to the opposite, i found it quite tame, if you have been to the souks of Eygypt or Morocco, or even sold or bought a second hand car, you will eat them alive :)

Maks

northampton
Level Contributor
658 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets and haggling

Egypt and turkey so far. Thanks mak3m. I'm sure you didn't buy any personally but any idea on price of bags? Thanks for the tip on watches as I think my Husband has my bag problem with watches!

Redruth
Level Contributor
348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets and haggling

Hi Gina

I have the watch disease as well.

I bought a really good rolex copy 3 years ago - kept perfect time, self winding, date, see thru back, even the second hand almost swept round. All good for two years then dropped it on the tiled kitchen floor and smashed the glass! Didn't see one like it last year but will be looking again this year- only paid 40 dinars for it as well!

My other half does the bags and you have to be careful of the leather quality - some are really good others feel like cardboard.

Like Maks said - 'Watch' the quality!

Happy hunting

Steve

Rugby, UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets and haggling

aha I have the watch bug, my partner thinks im some kind of del boy character.

The Ice watches looked ok, not my taste, saw them going for 15TDN in fixed price shops. I looked at a Longines, Mount Blanc and a couple of Brietlings prices ranged from 25 - 40 TDN. The watches themselves felt very poor quality and fragile except for the Longines which looked good but the leather strap was completley dried out and cracked, as it was fixed price they didnt want to shift on price so i didnt bother.

Didnt buy any bags while away sorry so not sure of the prices. My daughter got a Bulgari leather purse for 15TND and some converse trainers in the Medina for 20TND after some haggling, starting price was 265TND came down rapidly when I laughed him off explaining I wasnt paying twice what I would pay for legit trainers in the UK ;)

Didnt happen to me personally, but a friend who went to Tunisia last year had a number of 'fake' purchases confiscated in the airport. They were going to be gifts and were in the hand luggage some of them still labelled up.

Tiverton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets and haggling

Hi Markets are good fun, you must haggle, they expect it the price is roughly one quarter to one third of the price they start with, if you walk away sometimes they will tap you on the shoulder and that means that you will get the item for the price you said when you walked away.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets and haggling

Where. Are you staying. My advice is to find the nearest fixed price shop so you can browse without pressure and get an idea of prices. If then you want to haggle in the medina yoy can do or take easy option and but from ixed price shop like we did. I must admit we are going solely for china and scards. I got q lovelu pashmina last time for less than £3

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets and haggling

You will really need to be a good experienced negotiator to walk away from a market trader with an item you could have got cheaper(and better quality) in a fixed price shop

Market traders are like bookies.

They always win !(whatever deal you think you got)

But if you are happy with what you pay

That's what the haggle is really all about !

You are happy and Ali is happy!!

If you want to buy cheap fakes and don't know the score, stick to the fixed price shops

Edited: 07 August 2014, 17:17
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets and haggling

I agree I didn't find the haggling was taken as seriously as some places, the medina at hammamet was less relaxed than the one at yasmine, but the markets were pretty much the same. Haggling to them is a game which they seem to enjoy. The only one time I've ever failed is when I bought a lovely hand carved olive wood item, he literally refused to knock anything off the price even though I walked away. Ten minutes later I went back for it though because I'd fallen in love with it, it's a piece of art really, and is genuine quality unlike a lot of the junk u find.

My boyfriend has bought me several watches but they're all tacky to be honest and not decent although they still keep good time. As for bags I never found any worth buying because for me they didn't remotely resemble the original they were trying to copy, although if u just want a general leather bag u will find some nice leather pieces, watch out for the hard old leather though. They're all really cheap enough. Converse are decent out there, rip offs but can hardly tell the difference, and dead cheap

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets and haggling

How can you spot a fixed price shop from the outside?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markets and haggling

It just looks like a clothes shop you would find here ;-)

Big signs on the windows... Prices, etc

Rails of clothes at the door entrance

The usual deal you see here

And all the goods will be price tagged

Simple .really !

Edited: 08 August 2014, 16:47
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations