We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sensible ladies attire

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sensible ladies attire

Advice please,

Will travel to Tunisia second half of September to visit the family of my husband-to-be. So that I embarrass no one (especially myself), a bit of info on appropriate (read: acceptable) dress would be appreciated. Hubby says, "dress to please me, sexy lady" but good sense (and manners) say perhaps not.

We will travel a good bit in the north and central areas of the country with stops at some beach resorts.

Sensible advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sensible ladies attire

I think the best people to advise you on this, is your husband to be and his family, to be honest.

Western dress should be fine

Regards

Mick

Edited: 16 August 2014, 19:52
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Thank you Mick. I have been told anything I wear would be fine, wanted independent verification as have never been to Tunisia. This will be my first foray onto the African continent. All levels of joy and anticipation

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sensible ladies attire

I know a few people married to Tunisian men. They don't dress any different to how they usually would. The husbands family's never expected them too. I understand it must be daunting for you though. Good luck.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Hi. When I visit Tunisian families I always go for the safe option and wear a long legging or jeans and over it I wear a dress that is not tight on my boobs.

The long jeans/legging has the advantage you can sit down without being embarrassed (or try to get in and out the back of cars or louagages). It also prevents you sitting on hot sticky sofa's or chairs.

My best Tunisian (male) friend said once as a foreign woman you don't only visit the family but also the whole neighbourhood/village.

In the resorts you can offcourse wear what you would wear on a sunny day at home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sensible ladies attire

What about something like white linen trousers and a floaty kaftan/tunic style top. They will be comfortable and keep you cool. Good luck, hope your trip goes well.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Good idea !!

Ripon, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Just back from hols.I'll tell you what the rep. saiad to us. Tunisian men will look at you whatever you have on, so wear what you feel comfortable in. Have fun.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Andy

there is a difference between walking around in tourist resort and visiting your partner parents for the first time.

Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sensible ladies attire

Hi you really need to discuss it with your husband to be. I've been in a similar situation as u and was given a similar answer but I would not accept this and after answering several more times I received a more serious response lol!!

Personally I wore jeans and a t shirt. But I did feel awkward because they all had their hair covered, and I constantly asked should I do the same and still never got a fully decent response! So I just went as I was! His family will be lovely and welcoming I'm sure. Tunisian girls wear much the same as us westerners, many are more modern than u might think. Just obviously don't wear a bikini!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sensible ladies attire

I find a long scarf particularly handy in a hot country where modesty may be expected. Depending on how conservative his family is it can be dated to help fit into any situation. Arms need to be covered it can be draped around the shoulders or if you feel that your hair should be covered you can wear it as they do in the south of France whilst driving an open top car. This way you look like your till keep your western identity but also show the. Respect. Also they pashminas are so cheap and beautiful out there.

They are also brilliant for keeping sun off and sorry if tmi but soaking up sweat on a hot day. I bought one first day I was in Tunisia 4 years ago and they have been taken on holiday ever since. Also a good way of dressing a day out (say a sun dress) into a more sophisticated evening dress. I certainly will be topping up my collection this holiday.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 22:14
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations