We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's and weather conditions

Which Port El Kantaoui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito's and weather conditions

We are going to Port El Kantaoui on 1 June - 8 th June. Are there many mosquitos at this time of year.

Also does it get cold in the evenings would we need to bring a light jacket to wear.

Look forward to receiving any help and advice you can give me

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

Hi,

Here are some tips for mozzies; I react badly to the bites & need to carry prescription stuff but have had 7 pain free hols since taking Vit B1. It doesn't work for everyone, but certainly seems to help a lot of folk. You can get timed release capsules from Holland & Barrett:

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol. Some people say take yeast pills instead. Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho. Some say get DEET from Boots. Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning. You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £3 each). Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

Regarsd

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

Not been to PeK for a few years, however, never had any problems with Mozzies, even in July-Aug. You shouldn't need a light jacket, yes, it does cool down in the evenings but not enough to warrant a jacket/cardie.

Hope this helps

Nana

portsmouth
Level Contributor
171 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

hi i got back from pek at 3am this morning. only got bit the once and that was the night before i come home. evenings are warm so no jacket is needed.

england
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

Thanks for this information , it really has helped me re the packing and the medication

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

Apparently eating Marmite has the same effect as the tablets mentioned above (probably because it contains the same ingrients).. :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

Marmite! EeewwwWWW!

Yucky, yucky, yucky!!!

Noooooo!

: 0

Have heard that tho. Brewers yeast too.

Regards

7. Re: Mosquito's and weather conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations