We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping and eating

uk
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
tipping and eating

I should be going in september, whats the tipping like, do you get mithered? also whats it like going to eat there, we will be half board at marhabra palace,whats it like? and the food like here and indeed in the local restraunts?

is there lots of meet?

thanks

cambridge
Level Contributor
581 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping and eating

Hi Phil

We will also be there in sept 6th to 20th, My partner and I like this Hotel very much, its well situated for the port and local restaurants in the port area.

As for tipping in the hotel we tend to tip the doorman a dinar now and again, also the drinks waiters, our waiter for evening meals we save to the end of our stay, and also the maid.

We find the food ok, we have never gone hungray, plenty of choice of salads, usually some sort of carvery of meats on in the evenings where the chefs serve you, good choice of desserts and fresh fruit.

There is a beach bar for lunch which does a variety of hot and cold food from just chips to steaks, pizza, baguettes, or salads, also a pool bar where you can order from, as well as a chef by the pool cooking crepes, so you shouldnt go hungray.

We usually treat ourselves to a meal in Le Mediteranee in the port, I will have Lobster and OH will have a fillet steak, usually about £50 for the 2 of us, with starter and dessert and wine, so not to bad, there are loads of other restaurants in the port area, depending on what you want.

Alchol is a bit hit and miss and Ive heard very watered down but havent tried myself, I drink Malibu, so take it with me, OH doesnt mind the local beer, but when we were there in March, The Kanta witch is opposite the Marhaba Palace, and has a Irish Bar attached to it, now sells Becks beer,

Hope I have answered some of your questions, if not im sure someone else will add to it.

uk
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping and eating

Thanks yes it did

what about getting hassled, heard you do sometimes just wonderd,and roughly how amny and what shops are in PEK?

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping and eating

Hiya Phil,

Yes, you may get some hassle, Nothing to worry about as No does actually mean No.

Just say Le Shukran (as is sounds) - No thank you

They will get the hint that your not interested and you can just walk away. Also, not making eye contact with them as your walking around also helps, as if they catch your eye, they think that you are open to talking to them about what they might have to sell.

I'm not saying be rude obviously, but polite but firm works.

If you'd like to know anything else, Please ask!

Have a great time while your away.

SousseLover

uk
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping and eating

yes lol

i do have loads of questions erm

whats the best places to visit i mean shopping etc,

whats monastir like and sousse? also how big is sousse and is there manny shops in PEK in itself.

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping and eating

Hiya,

Not a problem..

Shopping: Soula centre in Sousse if you dont want to haggle, Or if you love a bargin - go to the Sousse Madina. There are also shops scattered about in Sousse on the Corniche - The road running ajacent to the beach road. In PEK there are lots of shops on the marina and the centre itself. Its there anything that your looking to shop for specsificly?

Monestir is slightly smaller than Sousse (the toursity area), but there are things to see there.. i.e. Nice marina, the ex presidents residance/morsaleum, smaller madina than Sousse, beach and other shops and restaurants/Cafes..

Sousse is a busy town with many cafes and resturants, bowling alleys, open air disco's, and a beach that extends from Sousse to PEK.

Traveling around: You can get a taxi or noddy train from PEK to Sousse and back - be aware that taxi fares go up after 9pm. Also make sure that the taxi driver puts his meter on at all times.

Anything else let me know.

uk
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping and eating

thats great

erm is there any designer shops

and where would the copies be for my family and friends i can get lmao, is there louis vuitton copies etc a few friends want me to get them some. Is there anything else must do there without traveling very far lol

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping and eating

Hiya,

Theres a few fakes about in the shops in PEK, t-shirts, jeans and handbags etc..

Id do the Shacka night, for a bit of culture and a nice meal rolled in with a trip to the zoo and if you like history - El Jem.

uk
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping and eating

sounds good lol if i think of anything else ill ask, any nice retraunts in particular in PEK?

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping and eating

Yes, Lots in PEK - There is one Near the large fountain in PEK.. House of Couscous? - That ones very nice - Also the floating restaurant in the marina.

In Sousse, Please try to Albatross - great for steaks and fresh fish.

10. Re: tipping and eating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations