We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general advice

Which Port El Kantaoui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
general advice

Hi folks,

going to hotel riviera in october,do you think mozzies will be a problem and someone suggested that we take Johnnie Walker red or black and sell to the hotel is this an option? as it`s our first trip any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general advice

you shoudnt have a mozzy problem as the temp will be on the way down but take a spray with you just in case, if going out in the evening wear long trousers and cover your arms and spray the exposed bits,

shut your patio doors before dusk,

as for the drink, why? if found out you could be in big trouble,

alan

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general advice

Some tourists bring bottles to give to staff in hotels.If they don't drink it themselves they can sell it and so make money. We never did it and always got good service...

Never heared that tourists sold them to hotels, seems a kind of black market... Not a good idea I think.

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general advice

I got eaten alive by mozzies this month in Hammamet :( And I still got the bites on my leg Lol , Think they going to scar !!! I used mozzie spray , Citrus sprays and my legs were constantly covered up but they ravished me :(( In Canary Islands I used lemon oil and only got bitten twice :) But in Tunisia and Turkey they really don't like me !!! Plus I am sensitive to them 2 .. However my son only got bitten twice Lol ! So I think they like certain people who knows ..

The waiters in the hotel said it was because i had "Sweet blood , Like honey" Hahahahaha

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general advice

put pure gin on the bites

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general advice

Hi UlsterBrummie :)

Really ??? Normally I buy Marks And Spencer pure Lemon spray and it worked fine in Canaries , But I forgot to buy some for Tunisia and I bought this Lemon massage oil in Hammamet that was all I could find but did not help !

x

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general advice

yep lots of people bitten that week we went and all using gin.

around the pool.

lucky me got none........

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general advice

U had a really nice colour dint you , I am wondering if they prefer pasty fair people like me Lol :) But my son is fair and he don't get picked on .. My mother is very dark she gets left alone !

So Gin it is then next time :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general advice

well dont know if its old wives tale or not,but they say the darker skinned you are the mozzies stay away

oh and the gin is for after you have been bitten

Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: general advice

Mac, I know of people taking bottles of spirits as gifts for reception staff or their favourite waiter but haven't heard of anyone taking bottles to sell to the hotel. Maybe whoever told you this has got a bit mixed up. I would take a good insect repellant spray as some people do attract them more than others.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: general advice

we take vitb1 and odourless before any holidays now

we have been to sharm a few times and seen people really badly bitten

start of April the mozzies really bad at our hotel as (stevie63) has stated

Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations