We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praying Mantis??

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Praying Mantis??

Random but does anyone know if there are Praying Mantis in PEK?

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praying Mantis??

lol, not that i know of, never seen any.

plenty of crickets tho..

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praying Mantis??

What is a praying mantis ?

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Praying Mantis??

Its a creature a bit like a stick insect, lol, its poses with its front legs together like its praying, i really dont know how to describe it Maenan, its got big eyes too. lol.As far as i know i think you get them in North America, Asia, South Africa and Austrailia, altho, i will be glad if somebody would correct me and let us know if there is any, fascinated by any creatures i am.

Julie

Edited: 19 May 2013, 17:30
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Praying Mantis??

ah

like a grasshopper but bigger

thought it had something to do with Islam

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Praying Mantis??

Thats the one Maenan, big grasshopper thingy, lol.

Djerba Island...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Praying Mantis??

I am on Djerba Island in the south of Tunisia. There are Praying Mantis here. They are great looking creatures. There are also many Chameleons. There should be the same farther north. Hope you can find them :)

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Praying Mantis??

Oh wow great - they are lovely especially the green Asian ones!! I will be looking out for them !! Can't wait thx

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Praying Mantis??

Had me worried for a bit thought it might be some seedy den, lol... The female is also known to eat the male of the species after they have had their wicked way !!! lol..

A picture http://media.photobucket.com/user/angie6507/media/praying-mantis.jpg.html?filters[term]=praying%20mantis&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=5

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Praying Mantis??

The Praying Mantis is also known to inhabit the Medinas and surrounding environs

The male of the species will endeavour to hypnotise its prey,sending signals indicating it works in your hotel in an attempt to lure you into its den.

Potential victims are usually those of the holiday species appearing wide eyed and lost (the common or garden newbie) or those seen seen flashing hotel wristbands ,indicating a juicy meal.

The Mantis once it has you in its den will offer you tea, then embark on a sales pitch trying to sell you all sorts of weird gifts at inflated prices.

Beware The Praying Mantis !

Edited: 22 May 2013, 09:10
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Praying Mantis??

My (english) husband enjoyed your post a lot Clerryjungle!!

Great Humor !!

Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations