We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local transport

sunderland
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
local transport

Hi was just wondering if anyone has ever used local buses to visit other resorts in Tunisia. Do you think its a good idea? I know taxi's are cheap but was just wanting to do something a bit different this year. If anyone can help what no. buses and where can they take us to. We will be staying at the Riviera

Thanx Denise

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local transport

You could go by bus or by louage to Hergla. It is a litlle village about 15 km away to the north. Nice houses, nice views over the rock and the beach also. On thursday there is a small market.

To go to other towns you will have to take busses at the bus station near the medina (fe for Monastir) or near the sunday market (fe for Kairouan).

Kingswinford,England
Level Contributor
113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local transport

Interesting. We do not as a rule - fly and flop - so we would love to go on our own (3 ladies) to Sidi Bou Said. Has anyone else done this trip without taking a tour of other places?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local transport

I did it ages ago.

With the train from Sousse to Tunis. Then short walk to other train station and train up to Sidi Bou Sid.

London
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local transport

Few weeks ago, maenan, friends from hotel in Hammamet tried to do Sidi Bou Said by train from Tunis. They told me train stopped at Carthage as track was taken up beyond Carthage. They had to get taxi from Carthage to Sidi Bou Said. Don't know if this is permanent or just track being replaced. Hopefully someone local can confirm situation with train.

Last year tried to do same trip and train stopped at La Goulette - just couple stops from Tunis - because service was suspended.

sunderland
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local transport

thanx for that maenan. Will start taking a further look into it.

Denise

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local transport

Hi Wanderin_star, thanks for the information.

As told in my post it was ages ago I did the travel by public transport.

M and I don't like the place that much because it is touristic. so it is not something we do in our holidays.

Last time we were there was with friends who were first time in Tunisia and we had a rental car.

7. Re: local transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations