We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight delay compensation

Birmingham, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Flight delay compensation

My flight from Tunisia Enfidha was delayed over 3 hours, can I stll claim compensation ffrom Thomas Cook as the flight was outside the EU or does it still apply as it involved a UK destination?

Any help would be appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight delay compensation

This link may help - moneysupermarket.com/c/…

Why was your flight delayed - weather, strikes etc.. do not qualify for compensation. Thomas Cook is an E.U. based carrier so compensation rules apply if within the compensation rules.

Most airlines, especially the charters, tend not to pay up unless you take them all way to small claims court. Whether anyone could be bothered to claim for a 3 hour delay, which insured your safely, is debateable. Money for compensation has to come from somewhere, so don't complain if next years holiday prices are more expensive.

Birmingham, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight delay compensation

Under EU ruling I am quite entitled to make a claim as long as the delay was in excess of 3 hour.....the only concern was whether this would apply to flights from Tunisia The delay was due to a shortage of aircraft as one was required to position at Manchester leaving my destination airport of Birmingham short, hence the delay.

Cheers

Edited: 08 July 2014, 22:56
London
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight delay compensation

Yes you are quite entitled to make claim, whether you have the energy and stamina to go all way to small claims courts which you will need then good luck. Personally would put it down to bad experience and move on.

Birmingham, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight delay compensation

Thanks Wanderin Star.

I have logged the claim with the airline TC. Why would I need to go through a small claims court when there are set compensations via the airline?

They have given me a case number and under rules, have 28 days to resolve.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight delay compensation

For 3 hours? Seriously? Pls don't answer that...for 3 hours I wouldn't waste anymore time on this thread.

Birmingham, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight delay compensation

If that was the case they would make the minimum period of delay much more in order to claim

3 hours is justifiably a long enough period to claim within reason otherwise it wouldn't have passed the courts.

You don't need to waste anymore time on this thread as I would prefer to listen to others who can give me the correct advice.

Just saying!

Thank you

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight delay compensation

What advice are you looking for exactly??

You seemed to of answered your own query in replies #2, 4 and 6.

I think you may be better posting on the air travel forum.

If you have lodged a claim and you got a case number etc then i think its just a 'wait and see what happens' kind of thing.

But like WS had said, dont complain when holiday prices go up and up... Cos a 3 hour delay is nothing, and now everybody is jumping on it the prices of holidays will soar so high it wont be just the people who can only take holidays in School holiday time , it will be all of us that wont be able to afford the prices of our hard earned holidays.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 07:47
London
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight delay compensation

Why would I need to go through a small claims court when there are set compensations via the airline? <<<

Because most airlines, especially charters, will refuse to payout unless you take it 'right to the wire' i.e. threat of court action - then you will need a prepared case.

Birmingham, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight delay compensation

The advice was whether Tunisia is covered by the EU if travelling from an EU country.

At least the claim is genuine as the flight times will confirm and if you had been stuck at the airport you wouldn't have been too happy, especially as it was a night flight which in turn left me with no sleep and unable to attend a Christening.

Could be worse,could have been a "whiplash" claim which is costing insurance companies fortunes in false claims.

There's worse things!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight delay compensation

Have you read the information on the link Wanderin Star provided?

No one here that I know of is a legal expert on the questions you asked

Try a claims lawyer for free initial advice

Or ask on the Air Travel Forum on this site

Thomas Cook ?

I was delayed at Palma one time for same reasons you indicate

We got a £5 voucher !

Never used this outfit since

As for Tunisia being covered re EU regulations

Once again read the link WS provided

Good Luck

But knowing TC as I do on this and other issues I had with them regarding cancellations.

I would not hold my breath;-)

Edited: 09 July 2014, 08:40
Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations