We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

I've looked at a number of guidebooks and read many of the posts, and have finally narrowed down where we'd like to be. Now I'm turning to the experts here!

We are looking for a good base to explore ruins for a handful of days (maybe 3 or so), at minimum Tlos, Pinara, Kayakoy and probably one of those kayak or glass bottomed boat tours of Kekova.

Good local (small) restaurants or street vendors a huge plus, and we'd rather not feel like we're purely surrounded by fellow tourists and tourist shops.

Also, this might be silly, but one consideration might be where there's a good reputable tour operator for small group tours. For instance, in Cappadocia there are a handful (like Turkish Heritage Travel) that we know we can tap for standard tours with no shopping, and only 8-12 folks on the bus, and with great historical knowledge.

Thanks so much!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Kaş would make a very good base standing as it does pretty much central along the Lycian Way.Good bus connections in either direction too.

There are two local companies you could contact,both have excellent reputations;one is -

http://en.dragoman-turkey.com/t/12/

and the other is-

http://www.bougainville-turkey.com/

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on tour companies. It's very easy to get around the area by dolmus (local minibus) and scheduled coach services. There's a huge amount of info available about various historic sites on Trip Advisor, the rest of the www and, of course, in books.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Hi ,

I would highly recommend you to pick up Kas .

Kas is a really nice place to spend your holiday.

I can recommend you to see Sunken City with boat rather than Kayak . When you are kayaking you won't be able to see much. You would definitely have a better angle from a boat compared to kayak.

Glass bottomed boats are a big lie and a tourist trap.

What I can suggest you is to hire your own boat either from Kas or Kekova and enjoy the day and different bays surrounding area of Kekova.

Best Regards

Cpt. Ergun

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
231 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Cpt Ergun is correct - we hired a boat in Kekova, it was great and our boatman was very knowledgeable. However, we went from wonderful Kas there by car, so not sure how you'd get there without.

Enjoy your planning!

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Kaya, I've actually gotten lost in places most people say are impossible to get lost in! I'll look further into the dolmus idea, but I'm also trying to maximize the time we have so it just might be more efficient to spend the money on a tour group if we can find a small, good one.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

<<<We are looking for a good base to explore ruins for a handful of days (maybe 3 or so), at minimum Tlos, Pinara, Kayakoy and probably one of those kayak or glass bottomed boat tours of Kekova.

Good local (small) restaurants or street vendors a huge plus, and we'd rather not feel like we're purely surrounded by fellow tourists and tourist shops.<<<

from what you ask for in the above Kas would be a good spot....and you can easily arrange a boat trip from Kas to visit kekova..however If I were you for the places you want to stay at you will need at least 2 nights in each area..( Fethiye - 2 nights - Kas - 2 nights and Cirali 2 nights )

To visit Kaya koyu you ca also stay in Kaya koyu locally..this way you wont need buses to get around..or if you stay in Fethiye ( of course more touristy ) then you will have to take the bus to Kaya koyu.

<<<Tlos, Pinara, <<< most if not all historical sites are better to visit with a car as often they are not as accessible with buses.

and since you ask about Cirali I would also receommend that you visit there as well..the flames of the Chimaera, the ruins of Olympos and the lovely beach which neither Kas or fethiye have..and obviously less touristy then the other two.

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..

As for the amount of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Kas, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

Çıralı is an agricultural village in the southwest of Turkey in Antalya Province. It is close to ancient ruins of Olympos and Chimaera permanent gas vents.

If you want to see a place were time has stood still in Turkey and experience what Turkey used to be like about 15 to 20 yrs ago before the influx of all-inclusive and package holidays of the last decade, then Cirali is the place for this..

Cirali is a great little village, nice clean beach and a mix of sand and pebbles, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Chimaera" the world''s oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame".

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Just nice family own hotels and pansiyons. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. It can be too quiet for some if you are looking for more in the way of and actiive nightlife..

my photos ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Cirali is centrally located between Antalya and Kas and you can travel farily easily to visit nearby historical areas.

In Cirali there are ..boat trips, snorkelling, long walks, day trips to nearby Kemer or Kumluca to visit local markets, biking, and of course relaxation...not to mention the historical ruins to explore..plenty to keep ones self busy for a week or two.

Also nearby to Çıralı is the Ulupınar region, which is rich in rivers and creeks. Cirali / Çıralı is one of the last unspoilt natural areas along the Antalya coastline.

Kaş is a small fishing, yachting and tourist town, and a district of Antalya Province of Turkey, 168km west of the city of Antalya. As a tourist town it is relatively unspoiled.

Patara (Lycian: Pttara), later renamed Arsinoe was a flourishing maritime and commercial city on the south-west coast of Lycia on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey near the modern small town of Gelemiş, in Antalya Province. It is the birth place of St. Nicholas, who lived most of his life in the nearby town of Myra (Demre).

Kaleköy (literally "Castle's village" in Turkish; ancient Lycian: Simena), is a village of the Kaş district in the Antalya Province of Turkey, located between Kaş and Kale, on the Mediterranean coast. Kaleköy faces the island of Kekova, and can be reached only by sea.

The village lies amidst a Lycian necropolis, which is partially sunken underwater. Kaleköy is overlooked by a Byzantine castle, built in the Middle Ages to fight the pirates which nested in Kekova. The castle contains a small theatre.

Kaya Koyu is an old Greek settlement 13km from the city centre. Kaya or Karmylassos was home to a sizeable Greek community until the population exchange treaty signed in 1923 between Turkey and Greece.

This is the Chimaera or Yanartaş as it is know in Turkish .....Yanartaş - The mystical flames at the Chimaera. The Chimaera, a series of flames issuing out of cracks in the bare hillside, is one of the most unusual sites in the whole of Lycia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanarta%c5%9f

check out these photos here; http://tinyurl.com/mo7fr6r

to organize and plan your trip you really dont need any groups or tour companies and The Turkey Travel planner has some good suggestions for independant travel in Turkey

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

very often groups will rush you from place to place and you dont get much time in each area..the tour becomes a whirlwind and does not give you the time to appreciate each area...1 night in each place is not enough..also if you stay in a place longer there are local travel companies or smaller groups to various sites that you can join along once you are there..plus once you get there you can decide if it is for you or not.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

To explore the area in three days in my opinion it would be best to divide your location over 2 places. İf you stay near Fethiye then you are within 1 hour away from Tlos (and Saklikent gorge), from Pınara and several other wonderful Lycian sites and then move nearer to Ücağız to visit the sunken city and Kaş. Many villages and towns on the coast are real places for tourism as simply that is the main trade. Nevertheless there are places to be found where you won't feel surrounded by tourists. Either Fethiye is a good (real) town like that (all year through working town), if you stay in a village like Kayaköy you will be in a very rural surrounding, Üçağız is lovely, Kaş, a larger harbor town. Cirali/Olympos is lovely as well but frankly too far away from the things you mention you have on your list to see.

Good luck!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

We stayed at all three places this year, transport is easy and cheap by bus along the coast. Kas is central and there are many day-trips to Kekova from there. From Fethiye or Oludeniz, Kayakoy is simple by dolmus and Tlos (plus Saklikent Gorge) can be visited on a cheap local tour but in my opinion you need a bit more time to do this area justice.

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

Thanks again for the great advice. I might have to rethink renting a car, although I always get anxious about dealing with a car in a foreign country, especially since we'll need an automatic.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kas, Fethiye or Cirali with No Car?

hi again Ellhest,

you can rent an automatic car in Turkey but they will be a bit more costly compared to a manual one. it is not hard or difficult in turkey to rent a car and for the most part the places that you might be dealing with will speak some limited english.

also I agree with scousemouse..it is very easy to travel from all these places by bus and here are the bus time tables,

Fethiye to Antalya (Sahilden) coastal route

http://www.batiantalyatur.net/?Bid=197908

and here are the prices for 2013..net yer could be a bit higher

http://www.batiantalyatur.net/?Bid=196955