We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rate for euro?

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best rate for euro?

I know a lot of people buy holiday money through travel fx, what is the process to buy with them?

I was wondering what rate I should buy euro at? It is 1.19 at the moment, is this good?

Sorry have never needed foreign currency before so abit clueless!

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best rate for euro?

Hi Sham

Yes, 1.19 is one of the highest rates recently, it was 1.20 yesterday and I don't think I've seen it higher than that for ages.

Not sure where in London you are but I always get my foreign currency from Thomas Exchange Global. They have a few branches in central London and always have the best rates (and no commission).

www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/index.php

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,541 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best rate for euro?

A question. Why buy euro when the currency in Turkey is Turkish Lira?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best rate for euro?

With money exchange, the people doing the exchange want to make money from it. "No commission" is just another way of saying "poor exchange rate".

Go to Google and check out what the actual inter-bank exchange rate is (1 GBP IN EUR) and then compare that with what is being offered at an exchange shop.

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best rate for euro?

sydneynick - actually, "no commission" just means the company won't stick a further surcharge on the published rate they are offering, not that they are offering a terrible exchange rate. Of course there is some sort of commission involved beforehand or they wouldn't be in business at all.

The market rate for Euros at the moment is 1.21 to the £.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best rate for euro?

The resort we are staying at has given price in euros and says to pay in local currency. We are staying AI so not looking to eat out also will pre book trips before we go. The only thing I will need money for out there is some gifts to bring back home. I'm assuming euro is prob best?? Will prob take a little lira for tips and stuff. Do you think that's best?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best rate for euro?

For UK travellers, this site is invaluable...

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best rate for euro?

Sham - I am taking both euro's and Turkish Lira but I have read you sometimes get a better price if you pay in Lira.

Angel9 - Thanks that's a great link, I haven't seen that chart before on moneysavingexpert.

Den Bosch
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best rate for euro?

If you pay in Lira, you'll get better prices!! For instance, if something is 10 Lira, they ask 5 euro, but 10 Lira is actually 4,30 euro.... Only if you buy big things or rent a car, it's better to pay in euro.

Ramsgate, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best rate for euro?

they use both currencies just work out which works out best in value when buying

10. Re: Best rate for euro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Alanya
Recent Conversations