We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadam 2014

Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ramadam 2014

My husband and myself are going to Sentido Golden Bay alanya 14th July 2014 for 7 nights. I have just read at the bottom of my Thomas Cook confirmation that Ramadam is for one month from 28th June 2014. I imagine that within the hotels you can eat and drink as normal, but can anybody tell me what restrictions there are when we go into Alanya during the evenings please?

It would be interesting to hear from any tourist who were in Turkey this year during Ramadam.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramadam 2014

Alanya is a modern tourism resort,you won't notice the slightest bit of difference.If you didn't actually know it was Ramazan you would have no idea.

Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramadam 2014

Even outside the hotels?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramadam 2014

Yes,even outside the hotels.Not all Turks are Muslims and not all of those who are fast :)This year it is said only something like 50% of people fasted.

The only thing you may see is small lokanta's that cater to locals rather than tourists are busier as sunset approaches but even then it won't be an absolute stampede.

Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramadam 2014

Thank you very much for your very helpful comments. It has put my mind at rest.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramadam 2014

We were there during Ramadan this year. No issues at all. When we went on an excursion, our tour guide (muslim) said that fasting was "between you and your god" and not compulsory. He also mentioned that the young, elderly, or sick shouldn't fast, and that if you need water etc. because of your job then you should drink etc..

It was the first ever time I heard the call to prayer. I quite liked it, and there seemed to be competition between the Mosques to see who was loudest / more in tune :-)

Never actually saw anyone praying anywhere (unlike the UK when you see some praying in the service area car parks.. whether that's for religion or more cash for the food I don't know !!)

Food and drink is readily available and as said above, you won't notice.

Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramadam 2014

Thank you - its nice to have someone who has actually been there during Ramadan on holiday, and yes my mind is at rest now, not that I'm an alcoholic or anything but a nice cocktail/beer in the town would be nice.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramadam 2014

Don't worry , I have been in Turkey during Ramazan many times and if you are in the tourist resorts you won't notice any difference. A lot if people do fast but they just get on as normal. You can still eat and drink whenever you want.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 16:53
Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramadam 2014

Thank you I feel more relaxed now.

9. Re: Ramadam 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Alanya
Recent Conversations