We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on car & which town to make a base for 4 days

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
355 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on car & which town to make a base for 4 days

I leave from Konya on Sunday morning and must return to Istanbul on Saturday (6 days later)

I am working out my itinerary. I have a rental car reserved in Konya and planned visit a couple of sea towns plus a whole relaxed day in Pamukkale on the way to Ephesus then fly to Istanbul from Izmir. But I realize it is too much for just 6 days. I think I am willing to save Ephesus area for another trip. So I need advice on an updated itinerary, including whether I still need a car.

Below is my tentative plan.

Sunday: pick up car at noon, visit Silles for lunch, drive to Side (or other town), sleep Side

Monday: drive to new town (Cirali, Kas, or Fethiye)

Tuesday: new town - hike Lycium Way

Wednesday: new town

Thursday: new town in day, transfer to Pamukkale after sunset

Friday: full day tour Pamukkale

Saturday: to ??wherever I rent car?? to return car and fly to Istanbul

questions: I wonder whether to stay in one beach town and do day trips or stay in 2 different places. I want to walk along the beach (so a long beach is nice) and see whatever the local sights are but take it very easy. I do not want a big resort. I am not into clubs but do enjoy a lively cafe scene with some live music and social people. I am traveing solo and it would be nice to meet some other people to hang out with at night. I am looking into Side, Cirali (or Olimpio), Kas and Fethiye. I do want to be right on the beach.

Also is there anywhere where the water is still warm enough to swim this late? The weather turns rainy on Monday but perhaps I will get a nice day. Pity since this week looked wonderful (it has been here in Cappodocia).

I wonder if it is useful to have a car to explore these smaller towns on the Antalya coast. Then I could drive myself to Pamukkale and take all day, returning to Antalya Saturday morning to fly out. I would love to save the expense but then I will probably have to pick just one beach town (my bag is heavy) and I am worry I would get tired of it with the weather being rainy. Plus I will need to take a bus to Pamukkale. That seems easy but I wonder if I can see some sights in the afternoon and others the next morning, or whether I need to do them all in one day (I can ask on that forum too).

THanks for any thoughts. I have a lot of great options and not having visited there before, wonder your thoughts.

2 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on car & which town to make a base for 4 days

I feel that this plan is a bit too ambitious, too many places, too little time, am I to understand you are travelling this weekend? The season has now finished but you will still find people around especially in the trekking area along the coast.

You say you are looking for a "beach town" but mention Fethiye and Kas, Fethiye is a vibrant town but does not have a beach, nearby Oludeniz does have a lovely beach and a dolmus service from Fethiye.

Kas is small and friendly, a good cafe scene but only has a small pebble beach a mile outside the town and tiny Kaputas13 miles away.. I would not advise using it as a base for Lycian Way walking, you need to get back to your accommodation.

Cirali/Olympos has a good beach but not much going on there this time of year and the Lycian Way is hard going here, not for day walks. Patara (between Kas and Fethiye) has a huge beach but it will be very quiet in late autumn although there is excellent walking.

Oludeniz water will still be warm now and really has the best day walks on the Lycian Way, you may still find some accommodation in nearby Hisaronu which has some bars and restaurants open and a lively ex-pat community, Fethiye accommodation is usually more expensive.

You will spend much of your time travelling, Konya to Side is at least a four hour drive and the same to Kas from Side, by bus each journey would take you most of the day. Fethiye has a Pamukkale bus service each day. Turkey is too beautiful to rush, come back another time and enjoy the experience.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
355 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on car & which town to make a base for 4 days

For the excellent reply. Of course you were right about me spending all my time traveling and that is something I want to avoid. I also realize that the small towns are not as accessible by bus as I had hoped for. Turkey is quite large which is obvious to you but until I took the bus from Goreme I didn't quite understand.

Unfortunately now my situation is that I have a rental car with a one-way (Konya to Izmir) that is proving very difficult to change without a lot of added expense. So I either have to switch completely to buses and see far less or take the car and visit only one seaside location plus Pamukkale to try to spend as little time driving as I can. I'm leaning towards the car and I wonder if anyone familiar with the gas costs could do the math for me - how much would gas cost for a 1000km journey in an economy car?

Reply to: Advice on car & which town to make a base for 4 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted