We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir or Antalya?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Izmir or Antalya?

Planning a vacation of about 16 travel days in Turkey for the end of the summer. We want to spend roughly half the time in Istanbul and then in another town/small city easily accessible from Istanbul. The first half in Istanbul would be a "City Trip" spending time seeing cultural events, mosques, historical sites, etc. The second half is the "Beach Trip" where we are a little bit more relaxed. However, while I like swimming and going to the beach, my husband has a skin condition that is aggravated by ocean water, and while he's happy to spend some time relaxing in the sun we're looking at places that have a little more to them than just a nice coastline.

For this reason, I'm thinking of Antalya or Izmir. Antalya seems to have the best beaches and might be a prettier place to visit in its own right, but Izmir seems more interesting historically/culturally, less touristy within the city itself, and it's not horribly far from some nice beaches (though not nearly as close or as nice as those near/in Antalya it would seem). Really would like to stay in an area with an airport close by in order to reduce total travel time.

If one city were much cheaper than the other, that might be an important consideration as well--though I'm willing to do bargain hunting either way.

Thoughts or preferences?

Thank you!

-Ashley

4 replies to this topic
Moss, Norway
Level Contributor
479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

Never been to Izmir but the Antalya province has got everything. Antalya a big working city with great old town, Kas and Kalkan small fishing villages, Belek Europes golf mekka and Side an old historic town with lots of ruins, amfiteatre, apollos temple and Turkeys second longest beach..

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

Antalya certainly ticks your boxes. You could consider staying in Kaleici (the old town) no beach as such but fabulous old streets and plenty of strolling leisurely opportunities. Some great family run hotels where you are really looked after. Great base for gentle exploring and a short bus ride to Konyaalti Beach. Further away is Lara Beach but an interesting bus ride there passing Duden Park for the Lower Waterfalls, Saturday Market (the biggest in the area) and shopping malls.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

That's what I was thinking too. Do you think if we wanted to, we could have a nice week in Antalya taking public transit/dolmus and staying local?

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

Yes you could. Even doing a deal with a taxi for a return trip with waiting time to say Side, Perge and/ or Aspendos is very feasible. Lots to do in and around Antalya even 'off' season as it is a working city so never really closes (same as Izmir).

Public transport is good for getting to local places. Kaleici of course is in the centre of Antalya so close to transport connections and only 20 or minutes from the airport.

I'm sure your husband could find plenty to amuse himself while you are at the beach ;o)

Reply to: Izmir or Antalya?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antalya