We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

I'll be in Antalya the last week of October. But I also have reasons to visit Mersin, Duzce, and Istanbul, plus I'm just interested in seeing Cappadocia and Ephesus.

What's the best way to visit these other cities? Renting a car would certainly give me the most freedom, and really I don't mind driving -- even in Istanbul. But I hear many people advising flying from city to city in Turkey. Can this be done for this many different places without breaking the bank?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

My personal preference would be to rent a car in Antalya to be dropped in Izmir. OK, that road to Mersin is a big chunk of driving, but from there on up to Cappadocia and back across to Izmir (hopefully stopping along the way!) is a great run (with lots to see along the way).

Then fly to Istanbul for Duzce. It'll be almost 1500 miles using about 150 litres of fuel @ 2.5TL per litre(?), and car rental is about 70TL a day, so not cheap, but flying everywhere is going to take a lot of checking various airlines for the different routes, and you'll find that SunExpress maybe only flies twice a week from Kayseri to Izmir, etc. Obviously a lot of travellers take overnight buses, which run that route as well.

It really depends on your time-scale and budget (and convenience). And maybe cut out Ephesus because it's off track (in that case you could drop the car at Istanbul having driven up there via Duzce, and you'd cut down on your mileage too).

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

Hi there,

well I agree with David, all depends on the time you have. You can easily spend time driving between places, or decide you use that time more exploring on a smaller area. Flight within Turkey are cheap, and often cheaper than driving. Though on the other hand of course you see so much more of a country being between places on the ground. And often between larger places you can come to meet places completely from the beaten path.

You do not mention you time schedule, you could do the biggest distance flying and drive the shorter distances.

How is the follow up of the places you need to visit? Can it be any random order?

Hope this helps for a start, if you give more info it can be easier to help.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

And that road from Mersin to Cappadocia goes through the Cilician Gates - a famous pass through the mountains taken by about every ancient civilisation on the warpath. Looks like a great road for the motorbike (planned one day).

livius.org/cg-cm/cilicia/cilician_gate.html

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

I figure another 10-12 days in Turkey AFTER the conference; my time is my own and techincally I could be gone as long as a month if I wanted. But basically I'm looking at the first 2 weeks of November if that makes any difference because of weather and driving mountain passes.

As I choose between flying, driving, and bus I think the deciding factor is more likely to be expense over time on drives that can be done with one overnight or less enroute between cities. For anything that takes more than two days driving or can't be done on an overnight bus, I'm sure I would prefer to fly.

I could do the route in any order, though for personal reasons it makes more sense to visit in Duzce as an extension of my time visiting in Istanbul.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

We have done all of that driving just a few years ago.

Antalya to Mersin will take a long day's driving. It is quite scenic. Starting with Perge and Aspendos 20 k or so out of Antalya, you will have Side ruins, Alanya castle, Anamurium ruins. If you visit any two of these places, your day will be over. Anamur is a very pleasant small town with some simple and inexpensive hotels. The next day will take you to other interesting places such as the heaven and hell sinkholer and the asthma caverns, a well as a number of interesting ruins and an incredible mosaic of the antique port , (celenderis)in a small town called Aydincik. Then towards Silifke and environs. That means another night at Tasburun (better hotels) or Silifke or Mersin (a nice Hilton). From Mersin up to Cappadocia it is mostly motorway or divided highway, and nothing to see on the way, so you can make it in half a day. (We had three speed traps within 2-3k of each, on this route.) Usually driving at95-99k is OK on highways and 130k on the motorway.

You should probably do Ephesus separately, leaving the car at Ankara and flying to Izmir. Ephesus and environs can be done in one long day although I would recommend two.

Duzce is two hours fast driving on motorway from Istanbul or three hours from Ankara. If you have time. there are some very pleasant waterfalls not too far away from Duzce, on the mountains West of town.

To bring you up-to-date on costs, Petrol is now about 3.15Tl/liter. (95) and 3.25(97). A decent car like a Ford Focus, WV Passat, Renault Laguna or Megan will cost you $65 or more per day, especially if you ask for an automatic. You may get a diesel cutting on fuel costs.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

"From Mersin up to Cappadocia it is mostly motorway or divided highway, and nothing to see on the way, so you can make it in half a day. (We had three speed traps within 2-3k of each, on this route.)"

I've got Öküz Mehmet Paşa Han at Ulukışla marked as something to see on that road (the inspiration for Han Duvarları a famous poem by Faruk Nafiz Çamlıbel) - he built the han in Kuşadası too. And Tyana/Kemerhisar (and a few even more esoteric sites marked, mostly bronze age).

I'd better take about 500TL for the fines when I go.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

Hi David,

If you look at it from that perspective.there is no part of Anatolia which does not have something interesting. Many a time, we have driven through, curtailing our curiosity, and many a time, we took the turning to find that the map was wrong or that somehow the sight had just disappeared (In addition to not finding the castle marked on the map, on Gurle mountain, between Iznik and Gebze, I mismanaged a small wet spot on the road and found that our AWD was attempting to learn mud-swimming. It took 2 hours to get the military police to start to try to find us with a tow truck, and by that time we were saved by a miraculous tractor)

Another time, we were pleasantly surprised to find a lovely little museum in a village called Alpaslan, instead of a castle, between Amasya and Tokat. and an eerie mountain lake nearby.

By the way, we spent our honeymoon at the Han in Kusadasi in 1978 when it was managed by Club Med, and there were absolutely no oxen around, as far as I can remember.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

What's a good website for planning driving? Google maps doesn't seem to want to give me directions or driving times for Turkey like I've been able to use it in other places in the world.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

I agree, maps can be well out on their positioning of sites. My old map had Gavurkale marked 20km from where it was, on totally the wrong road.

The paragliding at Gürle looks good.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to visit other cities after conference in Antalya?

Sorry, bilmiyorum, got a bit off topic there.

Try RAC route planner...

http://route.rac.co.uk/

or the Turkish Mercedes one...

mercedes-benz.com.tr/Internet/…

which needs Turkish spellings, I think.