We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Ephesus

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Ephesus

Hello,

About how long of a drive is it from Antalya to Ephesus? Is it doable in two days? What are the must see stops along the way?

Thanks

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Ephesus

It's about 250 miles from Antalya to Selcuk (via Denizli), probably 5-6 hours driving.

What do you mean by must-sees? Ancient sites, natural features?

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Ephesus

Thanks for your reply. Let me give you more detailed info. We are a family with 2 boys ages 12 and 17. After 3 days in Istanbul and 2 days in Cappadocia, my plan was to fly to Izmir and spend 2 days around Ephesus and then onto Santorini and Athens. However, it looks like Sun Express only flies M-W-F Cappadocia to Izmir. I really don't want to spend 3 days in Cappadocia. Although it looks spectacular, I think the third day would be more of the same. So plan B would be to take an overnight bus from Nevsehir to Antalya and drive up the coast to Ephesus.

As for must sees, I would like to stop at Pamukkale. Another thought is Iztuzu beach to see the sea turtles. Other than that, I suppose I'm looking places that are quintessential Turkey and will add variety to the trip. (We'll get a good dose of ruins at Ephesus and Athens, and beaches in Santorini.)

I've posted this question before, but do you know if Sun Express keeps the same M-W-F schedule in the summer (June)?

Thanks again

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Ephesus

With 2 days from Antalya to Ephesus, taking in the turtles and Pamukkale, I'd say drive directly from Antalya (inland route) to Dalyan, maybe having lunch at Oludeniz on the way, 5-6 hours altogether, check into a hotel at Dalyan, and visit the beach to see the turtle shelter in the afternoon.

Next morning start early for the drive up to Pamukkale - about 150 miles, 3-4 hours - check out the sights there and then onwards to Ephesus - another 120 miles approx, maybe dropping in on Aphrodisias on the way if you've got time (some people rate this better than Ephesus - but adds another 50 miles to that stretch).

Worth checking out the SunExpress flights in the new year - there might be more flights? Also there might be flights from Cappadocia (Kayseri) to Antalya.

Edited: 10 December 2009, 18:00
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Ephesus

There was a new flight route started this past summer between Nevşehir and Antalya.As far as I can remember it was only on Mondays and was operated by Turkish Airlines but Antalya DE,Canmom will know the details better.This may be a help to you to speed things up a little.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Ephesus

P.S. It's about 160 miles from Antalya to Dalyan, so it would take about 4 hours non-stop.

The RAC route planner is handy - http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner/

Edited: 10 December 2009, 18:20
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Ephesus

Thanks for the info and the link. ...My husband is not liking the idea of an overnight bus nor driving as he will be the designated driver:( Is the inland route very scenic? I'm sure the route along the coast is, but that may take too long.

Would three days in Cappadocia be too long? Or maybe I should just add another day to Istanbul.

Thanks!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Ephesus

Your whole trip seems a little intense on the mileage to be covered - a lot of travelling but not much sightseeing. If it were a choice between 3 days in Cappadocia or 3 days drive from Antalya to Ephesus, I'd definitely go for the latter 3 days. Take the scenic coast road with all the wonderful things to see along there, stopping for 2 nights along the way - probably 1 night in Kas (easy) or Dalyan (a stretch) and then 1 night in Pamukkale.

The quicker inland route goes up into the mountains and then back down do Fethiye - but, as you guessed, less scenic.

I think you can a flight from Izmir to Athens nowadays, too.

Edited: 10 December 2009, 21:41
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Ephesus

Worth checking out these trip reports from people who've done it before...

Bonniemichelle's...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k2…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k27…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k27…

and Osumom's...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k28…

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to Ephesus

Thanks David,

I've read (and reread) Bonnie's TR before. In fact, that' s where I'm getting all my (crazy) ideas! It sounded like an intense trip. Whereas, Osmom's (new to me) was much more relaxed. My younger son really liked her piece about the ice cream boat on the Mediterranean and insist on going there. However, her account of no bathroom on the overnight bus makes me veto that option....I'm so surprised that you would choose the coast over Cappadocia. Hmm ...I have lots to think about.

I really appreciate your help!!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to Ephesus

It is true there are no toilets on the buses but they do stop regularly-every 3-4 hours -plus a longer meal break stop too.Surprisingly, because it is a night journey it does pass quite quickly with most people dozing at least some of the time and many conking out altogether for the duration!