We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hi everyone,

I've never considered Turkey for a holiday before and was toying with the possibility of our first trip in sept this year.

Having looked through countless brochures and spending lots of time on here reading posts, we have set our sights on the Antalya region, Belek especially appeals, we have always enjoyed all inclusive holidays, with a "nice beach" (most important) good food and relaxing surroundings, we like to do the occasional trip out, I have noticed that you can do white water rafting in turkey, can anybody tell me if they have done this in turkey, how far I would have to travel to access this from belek and roughly the cost, we have done wwr in the dom rep and always said I'd love to do it again.

I'm sure at some point, I'll have more questions to ask, but for now answers to the above would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Amanda x

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

If you take a look on the Side forum you'll see a list in the top right hand corner of frequently asked questions and within it there is a selection of information about all the various day trips and events,including white water rafting(which is excellent here!).

Belek and surrounding area has some really good qualtiy A.I. complexes,DE Toady has stayed in many and will be able to give you a lot of advice on which one would be good for you.

PS Welcome to the forum and welcome to wonderful Turkey :-)

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hi Sarikanarya,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll take a look at that..... thanks, I've read toadys post with interest, your right she does have lots of useful information, I'm sure and hope to get to chat to her at some point! but thankyou to you too and thanks for the warm welcome x

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

HI manda - we are also trying Turkey for the first time this year. I've scoured these forums for more than a year and have had many previous holidays in the Dom Rep. I am hoping Turkey will live up to my expectations. I noticed you have stayed at Ocean Sands/Blue. Toady and I were there summer of 2008. She is the one who encouraged me to give Turkey a try.

We are off to the Limak Lara at Easter.

Edited: 16 January 2010, 17:16
England
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

HI bugalug,

Its a small world, we used the same threads on the pc forum back in 2008!!!

Yes we did go to ocean blue, you came back from there just before we went, we had a fantastic time, loved it at ocean blue, would love to go back this year but after doing long haul flights a few years on the trot, we just cant face another one this year!!!! So we have decided to look for something a little closer to home.

Good luck with your first holiday in Turkey, I'm sure we will speak again soon xx

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Yes, that's exactly what we thought. Hubby and daughter hate long-haul. Daughter especially - sick and nauseous whilst flying !!!! :( She would happily never fly again, but we have compromised on 4 hours ! :)

Hopefully Toady will reply to you soon - she's given me a lot of guidance on the better hotels in Turkey.

runcorn
Destination Expert
for Belek
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

The white water rafting is around 30 minutes away up in the mountains, you can book through your rep, hire a car and go yourself or book through one of the local trip companies in Belek or Kadriye, ive been several times and usually pay around £15 per person.

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hi Adrian,

Thankyou, your reply is music to my ears, I love wwr, and to know its accesible so close to the resort we have in mind is wonderful news!!! Thats great, thankyou

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hello Manda - hope you enjoy your fırst trıp to Turkey - wherever you decide to go - it is a fabulous country and every place has a magical quality of its very own. İ go white water rafting from Side about 3 or 4 times each year and LOVE it - my very favourite sport. And as Adrian says - it is very inexpensive here and they pick you up from your hotel - drive you up to the nearby Taurus Mountaın area - guide for the day - lunch included - and just 15 uk pounds for all that.

Side has a nicer beach than Belek - and it is the second longest in all of Turkey - Side also has very good All inclusive 5-star hotels - check out Sentido Perissia - Hemera - Sunrise Queen - Asteria - Side Star - all right on the very sandy beach here that goes on for miles and miles.

The Belek hotels are more of the Theme-Type All İnclusive hotels and Belek is mainly for golfers or those who wish to be pamptered in a super hotel but Belek is more of a manmade resort than Side or Antalya or Alanya - - all in the sme regıon of Turkey.

İf you want to walk to sights along a beach area - ruins - turtles - Apollo Temple where Anthony and Cleopatra made their tryst - nice harbour area - good shopping - boat trips - all within minutes walk of above hotels - then Side is the place for you.

İf you want to be pampered and stay in your hotel complex and/or play golf - then Belek is for you.

All above towns in Antalya regıon would do the white water rafting trip at around the same price.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hi Amanda,

Yes I must confess to getting bugalug addicted to Turkey, she has 5 holidays booked to date, and has yet to go!!!

Knowing the quality of hotel you liked in the Dominican helps alot because the Ocean Sands/ Blue was superb!

We do not have the beaches in Turkey to match there I am afraid! Not even in Side !! The hotels in Belek are far better than the similar rated ones in Side.

Belek hotels are not all themed either it is Lara beach that has themed hotels that resemble the Titanic, Concorde etc.

Also Belek it not just for Golfers at all but does attract many golfers because it had some superb golf courses! Winter time is when you see more golfers !!

My favourite Belek hotel is the Susesi Deluxe which we are going to for a second time in August, Bugalug's sister had booked it and will be there for our first week! It is much more luxurious inside than the ocean sands!!! minus like I say the idilic beach! It has a fantastic pier which had an amazing pier party last year which was weekly in the main summer months! Also a great snow part, yes I said snow!!! really effective but very fine bubbles and there was a superb laser light show! The water slides are excellent and there is a quiet villa pool area if you like to chill.

The food is excellent here and it has 6 Al a cartes in summer, and an adult only Bistro!! Food available around the clock and great choice of drinks!! Cocktails possibly bettter than DR ! Bottled beers included to! and every spirit imagineable. If you click on my name you can read my review and see my photos!!

We feel the same, the long flight to DR is a bind and we know we can get superb hotels in Turkey and in summer there is no chance of an Hurricane or tropical storms!

There are lots of other good hotels in Belek of varying quality, many have a 5 star rating but some are really more 4 star!

I really would not hang around because some hotels are selling out fast

Last year many wanted the Susesi for example and were disappointed!!

If you have more questions please ask!

Manchester.
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie to this forum, info grateful!

Hi Angelasurrey,

Which hotels in Belek are "themed-type"

I've been to this area and never noticed a "theme-type" hotel, please enlighten me if you can, I need the pampering!

Been to Lara Beach area and they have "themed-type" are you getting confused???

Diane.